How many semesters of organic chemistry lab do we need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My four-year university only has one organic chemistry lab that they allow pre-professional students to take, which is for the first semester of organic chemistry.

The second semester lab is "not intended for pre-professional majors" and they have no alternatives. :(

I'm planning on taking biochemistry with lab after next semester. I am currently taking the first lab and ochem class and I'm doing well in it.

Will it be a problem, to only have one ochem lab when I apply?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My four-year university only has one organic chemistry lab that they allow pre-professional students to take, which is for the first semester of organic chemistry.

The second semester lab is "not intended for pre-professional majors" and they have no alternatives. :(

I'm planning on taking biochemistry with lab after next semester. I am currently taking the first lab and ochem class and I'm doing well in it.

Thanks!
It's true that you can complete the pre-reqs after you apply, but I wouldn't recommend that. Have you taken the MCAT yet?

Thanks!
How many credits is the lab? If it's 2, you are totally fine, and many schools do it like that for orgo - a single 2 credit lab rather than two 1 credit labs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

It depends on the school. Check your state medical schools admissions requirements website.

Some medical schools don't even require orgo. Others require two semesters of orgo including 2 semesters of orgo lab.

Since a student needs to apply to the broadest array of schools and therefore needs to take the broadest array of prereqs, I recommend they take a full year of Organic lab (I and II). Once you make a decision not to take a possible prereq, you are cutting down on schools you can apply to. However, many schools seemed to have dropped the second term of lab or are replacing it with Biochem. Applicant needs to carefully check the MSAR for details.
I guess my problem is that my four year doesn't even offer the biochem lab and the second ochem lab to non-chemistry majors. :( They have several prerequisites which are required for these labs, which are classes only biochem and chemistry people take. Is this a valid excuse? Or should I try and take the labs somewhere else? Thanks.

Oh and if this matters, my first organic chemistry class is five units, including eight hours of lab a week. The second organic course that I'm taking next semester is three units and is only lecture. I read somewhere that schools want at least eight units of organic chemistry. Does anyone have any advice on that? Thank you,

Oh and if this matters, my first organic chemistry class is five units, including eight hours of lab a week. The second organic course that I'm taking next semester is three units and is only lecture. I read somewhere that schools want at least eight units of organic chemistry. Does anyone have any advice on that? Thank you,
Yes. You are fine, and are worrying about nothing. Please see my post above. Your 5 credit class includes 2 credits for the lab. This is why your second semester, without the lab, is 3 credits. 5+3=8. You are good. Everywhere. No need to check anything. :)