How many shadowing and clinical volunteering hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenoobrules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours of volunteering at a clinic/hospital should I aim for? How many physician shadowing hours should I aim for?
I know there isn't a magic number for either, but what should I aim for? I know it is quality of quantity, but I need to know what to aim for.

Members don't see this ad.

Drink every time this dude says "aim for"

How many hours of volunteering at a clinic/hospital should I aim for? How many physician shadowing hours should I aim for?
I know there isn't a magic number for either, but what should I aim for? I know it is quality of quantity, but I need to know what to aim for.
Average clinical experience hours listed is ~150 over 1.5 years gained at the rate of 3 hours per week during the academic year.

Average physician shadowing hours listed is about 50. Most shadow more than one doc. It's a good idea to include someone in primary care. Some briefly shadow ten docs and some have hundreds of hours with one, so many approaches can be successful.