How many shadowing hours should I have completed before I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

It took me a while to find podiatrists in the first place that would allow me to shadow them after a lot of no's... but even the doctors that are okay with me shadowing me only want it for like 1-2 days for only a morning at a time.... so I'll probably get like 4 hours max from each doctor!

At this rate I would need like 20 doctors to hit close to 100 hours of shadowing. Would 40 hours of shadowing be acceptable because that would be more realistic for me...

Members don't see this ad.

It took me a while to find podiatrists in the first place that would allow me to shadow them after a lot of no's... but even the doctors that are okay with me shadowing me only want it for like 1-2 days for only a morning at a time.... so I'll probably get like 4 hours max from each doctor!

At this rate I would need like 20 doctors to hit close to 100 hours of shadowing. Would 40 hours of shadowing be acceptable because that would be more realistic for me...
I think that 40 hours would be enough for an interview/acceptance based on what other people have posted up on SDN, but the more hours the better! That should be enough time to demonstrate an answer to the question "why podiatry" that will likely be posed by those that interview you. And hopefully enough time for you to decide that this is what you want to do for the REST OF YOUR NATURAL BORN LIFE BECAUSE ONCE YOU ARE IN THERE'S NO GOING BACK EVER. No pressure.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright thanks for the reply. It just concerned me because most doctors I've met don't like students shadowing them for more than a couple of days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright thanks for the reply. It just concerned me because most doctors I've met don't like students shadowing them for more than a couple of days.
As mentioned, there is no set minimum, just enough to know that you are making the right decision to go to podiatry school. I would encourage you to keep searching out other doctors that are more accommodating if you can.

Exactly what ldsrmdude and justintxc said.

Quality over quantity.

Also was in your position. Cold approached a bunch of local podiatrsist (about 10-12) and only 1 got back to me. Even then they said 1 day a week was enough. I pushed for 2 days a week (days I had work off) and they were fine with that too.

Shadow enough to where you can get a feel for the practice and day in day out routines. It'll go a long way during interviews and it'll also help you solidify your choice.

I completed about 15 hours, but I applied having only completed 8. Same as Weirdy, I cold called a bunch of different podiatrists.

Reactions: 1 users
I completed about 15 hours, but I applied having only completed 8. Same as Weirdy, I cold called a bunch of different podiatrists.

You got in with only 15 hours? Nice. I don't know why I've always heard that 100 hours is the staple.

You got in with only 15 hours? Nice. I don't know why I've always heard that 100 hours is the staple.
Before I switched to pod from dental, my undergrad advisors made it seem to us that if we didn't have at least 150-200 hours of shadowing then we were doing something wrong and that schools likely would look down on it. It definitely surprised me too when I saw how few shadowing hours were "required" for podiatry.

I had 20. I'd shoot for that. The more hours you have, the more stuff you see, which make good talking points for essays, interviews, and the "why podiatry" question

For your own sake, you should shadow one who works in private practice, one in university, and one in ortho group. The idea is to know what you're getting into and that you are excited to do this, not how many hours you need

For your own sake, you should shadow one who works in private practice, one in university, and one in ortho group. The idea is to know what you're getting into and that you are excited to do this, not how many hours you need

Had a professor at CSPM confirm this.

Shadow different modalities.

Also shadow male and female doctors as well. Unique differences on how they run their practices. If you bring this up during interviews it'll impress adcoms. Lets them know you're paying attention while you shadow.