Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

how many students flunk out during first year?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jaeida8, Jul 2, 2002.

1. jaeida8

jaeida8 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm concerned because the university I attend has strong ties to a state medical school. Basically our pre-med advisor has a lot of say in recommending people. My roommate for next year was one of the people who got in on one of these strong recommendations. She had a lower end 3 point something gpa and a very low mcat score, which she wouldn't tell me(but I am sure it is below a 25). No research, minimal volunteer work,etc. I don't want to end up with a not-having-a-roommate-in-the-middle-of-the-year dilemma. How often do people flunk out of medical school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

I think the attrition rate is 2-4% for the first year. At or near zero after that.

4. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

At my school, it usually takes 3 yrs for someone to academically fail out of medical school (which very rarely happens, most people who do leave do so on their own accord). Our school has a maximum of 5 yrs to complete the MD program. If you fail 1st yr, you can re-take the 1st yr (you might stop taking classes all together once you fail, or you might continue with classes and see if you can pass any of the other ones (this is what most people do). So if someone fails first yr, and are re-taking it, they usually do not fail classes that they are re-taking because they know what's going to be on the tests, how to study, etc. So they pass 1st yr. Then they get to second yr. If they fail 2nd yr, then they are out. So the whole thing takes 3yrs. I've never heard of anyone at my school that failed, but I don't know too many upper classmen, but there are a couple of students who were in my class going through this process and I am wondering if they will be one of few who academically fail (they are on yr 3 this yr). So, unless you are worried about your rooomate just giving up on the whole med school thing, chances are she will pass but if she doesn't, she will probably take a few yrs to "fail out" if your school is anything like my school. Something else to think about would be that people who are academically struggling can sometimes stress other people out (I'm not susceptible to this "peer stress", but I have noticed that some of my classmates are). If you think that she might stress you out or if her behavior (her not studying when you both should be) would adversely effect your grade, that might be something to consider as well.

Oh, and I wouldn't assume that she will even academically struggle or fail out. MCAT and GPA are not perfectly correlated with how well someone does in med school. Probability-wise, she will most likely do fine and be walking across the stage to get her diploma along side with you :) .

5. wfu2005

wfu2005 Member
    7+ Year Member

we had a few (maybe 5) who were asked to take the classes again. I think most are doing it but maybe some won't come back. Most of the attrition occurs in the first year and after that the people who leave are the one's who find out they don't want to be a doctor. very rarely is someone out of med school b/c they failed, usually they are given the option to repeat, and they either do, or they don't. they don't want people dropping out, once you're in, they try to keep you in.

6. aka-Jalopycat

aka-Jalopycat Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

If your friend was accepted, than the school that accepted her obviously believes she can handle medical school. A medical education costs a lot more than what the student pays in tuition. Because of this, I would not think they would be willing to take too many risks. I read somewhere on AAMC that 95-97% of medical students graduate. Those are pretty good stats!

Maybe she had some good, underlying reason for having lower grades...???

7. mgrunzke

mgrunzke New Member

At US schools it's 0-1% but in the carribs it's high.

8. jaeida8

jaeida8 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by aka-Jalopycat:
    <strong>If your friend was accepted, than the school that accepted her obviously believes she can handle medical school. A medical education costs a lot more than what the student pays in tuition. Because of this, I would not think they would be willing to take too many risks. I read somewhere on AAMC that 95-97% of medical students graduate. Those are pretty good stats!

Maybe she had some good, underlying reason for having lower grades...???</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">actually the school i'm speaking of has an agenda of enrolling Hispanics. they even brought this up to me when i was interviewing. they compete with other schools in the state for the most hispanic recruitment and i suppose funds for graduating hispanic doctors. so it doesn't really hurt to take on another hispanic, esp. when that person only interviewed at one other school and is a lock to enroll.

9. Espion

Espion is a girl
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just wondering...is this UTSA?

10. Dr. MAXY

Dr. MAXY Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, What ever the percentage maybe, I don't want to think about it. Because I will try and do all I can to stay in. Even If I have to move into the anatomy lab and study 24/7.

Also I don't think everyone who leaves after the first year flunked out. Some maybe due to other reasons.

11. sanfilippo

sanfilippo El Gaucho Misterioso
    10+ Year Member

at my school, a handful of students (maybe 5-7) were MIA by the close of the M1 year. one of the students did have a nervous breakdown, was an Ivy Leaguer, etc. Another girl from another Ivy League school for some reason failed most courses and had to repeat the M1 year. Most students get a 2nd chance if they fail and can't do any better on make-up exams, but that means repeating courses all over...can you imagine sitting through anatomy for 2 years in a row??????!!!!!

However, failing is really hard to do unless you don't study at all...others have serious studying issues, family concerns, and someone purportedly has narcolepsy at my school...so, if you need help or have special concerns, seek assistance early on to prevent yourself from spiraling downward...

some after the first year opt to go into a 5-year track, which spreads out the preclinical coursework over 3 years. that or something similar should be offered at most schools. there are extenuating circumstances in some cases...

-s.