How many study break days is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*apologies if this thread is a repeat, I would more than appreciate any thread links if you have them*

Hello community!

I am about to embark on my MCAT studies for the very first time and have been looking at many different study plans/schedule to create my own. I have found some that I like, using material I enjoy, but all seem to share one thing in common: only 1 break day every 8-9 days.

For some this is no biggie, I respect and envy you. But for myself, I am a big sucker for burning out. I have found that after a full week of work or studying, I need at least 1 full day/wk of rest to stay healthy and feel rejuvenated. In creating my 6-month study plan, I am putting in 2 break days/wk, so that I can still have time for self-care, work, volunteering, and catching up if necessary. I'm thinking of either spreading them out so that it's 1 every 3 days or 2 every 5.

My question to you: is 2 break days/wk excessive, manageable, ideal? What are some thoughts or advice you have for mapping out break days? What are some pros/cons you have experienced or observed in others?

Would love to hear what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

I think 2 break days a week is good especially for a 6 month study plan. Although you should not think of rest days as being used for catching up, they should be used for REST and recharging your mind and body. Also, if I were you I would just use Saturday and Sunday as rest days instead of putting them in the middle of the week but hey that's me. It's all personal preference anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I may have taken about 7-8 days off in about 3 months of prep. Almost all days were due to vacation/other really important events that I couldn't avoid or miss on those certain days. I tend to take somewhat of a light day for a day or so after each FL. I review those exams very slowly, taking my time etc.

Different strokes for different folks. You know yourself and your needs better than any study schedule, so if you need multiple break days and are able to stay focused and productive on your "on" days, then by all means take breaks!

Members don't see this ad :)
*apologies if this thread is a repeat, I would more than appreciate any thread links if you have them*

Hello community!

I am about to embark on my MCAT studies for the very first time and have been looking at many different study plans/schedule to create my own. I have found some that I like, using material I enjoy, but all seem to share one thing in common: only 1 break day every 8-9 days.

For some this is no biggie, I respect and envy you. But for myself, I am a big sucker for burning out. I have found that after a full week of work or studying, I need at least 1 full day/wk of rest to stay healthy and feel rejuvenated. In creating my 6-month study plan, I am putting in 2 break days/wk, so that I can still have time for self-care, work, volunteering, and catching up if necessary. I'm thinking of either spreading them out so that it's 1 every 3 days or 2 every 5.

My question to you: is 2 break days/wk excessive, manageable, ideal? What are some thoughts or advice you have for mapping out break days? What are some pros/cons you have experienced or observed in others?

Would love to hear what you think!

2 days are fine honestly. For those 2 days, just have little notes to review here and there. I think that's perfectly fine honestly. I would say one "con" in trying to study while working full time or having an intensive semester at school is sometime near your test date, you may realize you aren't ready and you may have to delay it.

I met a certain individual whose about 3-4 years out of undergrad from what it seems and they ran into that problem. The original plan was to take the last of the old MCAT earlier this year in January but they were not ready yet. Instead of taking the risk, they took 2-3 months off for themselves (nothing MCAT related) and studied for a solid 3 months. Seemed to work a lot better for that person too. Their schedule also seemed to have gotten lighter during the summer too which I assume was very beneficial.

I think 2 break days a week is good especially for a 6 month study plan. Although you should not think of rest days as being used for catching up, they should be used for REST and recharging your mind and body. Also, if I were you I would just use Saturday and Sunday as rest days instead of putting them in the middle of the week but hey that's me. It's all personal preference anyway.
Thanks! I was thinking of doing it on the weekend. I am notorious for sneaking in work during my me-time, something I still got to watch out for. :dead: