How many times did you apply before you got in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImNotThatGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been accepted to vet school - how many times did you apply before you were finally accepted?

I'm on application #4, and sadly this will probably be the last time I'll try. At some point, you just have to move on with your life, and I figure I can always reapply later on in life. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, the number of times someone applies is not nearly as important as what they did in between to increase their chances of acceptance. At 4 times applying, I hate to say this, but you may have gotten some poor advice along the way. Personally, I only applied once, but waited (5 years) after undergrad, until I felt I had a strong application.

If you'd like, make a post in the pre-vet forum, let people know your stats, strengths, and weaknesses; and more importantly, what you did over the last 4 years to improve you app.

If all you did was reapply, without any serious attempt to improve your app (and are likely to continue doing so), then yes, perhaps its time to move on. Otherwise, perhaps use the people here on SDN to give you some constructive criticism.

P.S. If you've already made such a post, link it here for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took me three tries to get in. Didn't do much between 1st and 2nd I don't think. Did a lot between 2nd and 3rd though.

It took me three tries.

between 1st and 2nd, I just got some more experience. I got waitlisted my second try.

Between my 2nd and 3rd app, I got more experience, and took some extra classes. I didn't interview very well my first two tries (I was a wreck in the interviews). I worked hard to get better at interviewing. I am good with people, and have strong communication skills - but I got overwhelmed by the importance of the interview. I left my second interview in tears (it didn't help that I had surgery just days before - I was still feeling icky from the anesthesia)! :scared:

I would recommend that you continue to follow your dream. I think most applicants, whether they get in on their first try, or their tenth, at some point don't think they'll be able to get in. I completely understand the heartache and disappointment that comes with multiple rejections - but it does NOT mean that you are not right for the profession - just that the schools don't think you're ready just yet. And, I do think that you should try to make improvements in you app - they don't give you much time between rejections and applications, so I would advise constantly building your resume for vet school - keep improving your skills. If you need to take some time off to build a stronger application, then you should. Have you applied to multiple schools? I think part of my problem was I was focused on just ONE school. I actually turned down another acceptance on my second try - in favor of trying for Davis a third time (i know, i know - it's awful . . . but I was waitlisted at my dream school that second round- I felt like I was SOOO close, so I gave it another try this last year, instead of going to a school far away from family)! That's my story. I felt like just quitting a lot of the time, but just couldn't stomach telling people how "i almost was a vet." It was too sad to imagine the regret I would feel. Keep your chin up, and good luck! :luck:

I checked your stats and they look decent other than your GRE could use some work. Have you thought about taking a prep course?

The only other thing I would stress is to make sure you have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. If you're applying to schools that don't interview that PS is your only chance to tell them what your driving motivations are. And for schools that interview, coming across well spoken and thoughtfully organized can make or break the process. I changed almost nothing stat-wise between 2nd and 3rd try (no new classes, left my GRE score alone, etc), completely overhauled my PS and worked like mad on my interview skills. Turns out I wasn't letting anyone know why I wanted to be there, so they honestly thought that even with my experience I was just one of those "I wanna play with kittens" people.

Imnotthatgirl,

Just a thought, but have you looked into any international schools? I personally have been accepted into Murdoch Uni in Australia after only applying ONCE. I did also apply to Melbourne and they said no. If most schools are saying your GPA is affecting your chance, you should seriously consider internat schools. I personally (im not excited about saying it) but I got in with a 2.8gpa. I know 2 girls that were accepted into St. Georges Uni in the carribean one had a 2.9 one had a 2.5..all those schools are accredited as well. Yes, if you apply to just some of the hardest vet schools and/or ones with the highest gpa requirements then yes you probably wont get in. I think you should consider outside the US if your heart is really set on being a veterinarian. Cheers!

I only applied once. I would also look into the UK schools. I got wait-listed at Tufts, rejected from three other schools, and got in at RVC. I mostly came here because I'll be able to travel and practice in EU countries without taking any additional tests, but also mostly because I didn't want to wait and see if the Tufts wait-list would move.

Don't give up hope! Keep your chin up. Lucky #4, right? :luck:

Imnotthatgirl,

Just a thought, but have you looked into any international schools? I personally have been accepted into Murdoch Uni in Australia after only applying ONCE. I did also apply to Melbourne and they said no. If most schools are saying your GPA is affecting your chance, you should seriously consider internat schools. I personally (im not excited about saying it) but I got in with a 2.8gpa. I know 2 girls that were accepted into St. Georges Uni in the carribean one had a 2.9 one had a 2.5..all those schools are accredited as well. Yes, if you apply to just some of the hardest vet schools and/or ones with the highest gpa requirements then yes you probably wont get in. I think you should consider outside the US if your heart is really set on being a veterinarian. Cheers!

Actually, SGU and the other Carribean schools are NOT accredited. It doesn't matter to everyone, but it's good to be aware of.

Actually, SGU and the other Carribean schools are NOT accredited. It doesn't matter to everyone, but it's good to be aware of.

hmm...the 3 carribean schools are all listed on the AAVMC website under "schools and colleges" and it even gives a link to their accredit info..my friend just went to SGU in August and I doubt she would have gone there if they weren't...interesting..

Nope, here is the official list of all schools accredited by the AVMA. Requirements to practice in a certain state depends on that particular state (e.g., some states accept the PAVE test instead of ECFVG for Caribbean school graduates), but the schools themselves are not accredited by the AVMA COE (Council on Education). They are on the AAVMC as affiliate members, and the difference is explained in the document you refer to.

See also (from the AVMA website where I got the list)(emphasis added):
AVMA said:
PUBLIC NOTICE
This information is provided as a public service by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Council on Education (COE) consistent with a Web listing protocol recommended by the Association of Specialized and Professional Accreditors (ASPA).
This section of the AVMA Web site contains the only official Web list of schools and programs accredited in the field(s) of veterinary medicine by the AVMA COE. The AVMA list is updated biannually. Schools, programs, degrees or other information are listed here only after satisfactory completion of the AVMA COE accreditation process.

The AVMA COE is not responsible for the accuracy or timeliness of any accredited status representations on any other Web site.

I applied once.
The vet that wrote my LOR got in on her fifth try and she is a great vet.

I got in on my second try. I'd second cowgirl's observation - I've worked with fantastic vets who didn't get in till round 3 or 4, and crappy vets who got in straightaway. I think a lot of that has to do with schools focusing too much on raw numbers - someone with 4.0 GPA and 1500+ GRE will likely get in many schools on first try. They might have minimal vet/life experience, no people skills or commo sense, and if interviewed just manage to seem human enough for the day to not get rejected. Those people, brilliant as they might be, probably shouldn't be vets, at least not outside a lab. With the over-emphasis on numbers, I think a lot of people who are plenty smart enough but not at the top of the ranking list get passed over, even though they have great experience, common sense, animal/people skills, etc.

Anyway, to the OP, three strikeouts may seem like a lot. But like others have said, it's probably more important to look at what you are doing in between. You mentioned reapplying later in life, so it sounds like you're young, and that might be a good idea if you don't get in this time. This was a career change for me; I didn't start the process until I was 40 and now am a 43 yr old first-year. For me, I was allowing myself probably three tries, then after that it would just get almost too ridiculous. I'm looking mostly at the good years I will have left to practice once I graduate and try to start a new career. As it is, I'll be almost 47, and that's pushing it considering the debt I will have to pay off and I'll likely still need years of experience before really becoming competent. But if you're only like mid-20's, even if you take a few years to work in the field, get some great/diverse experience, reapply and don't get in until 30ish, you're still young enough to make the effort worthwhile.

I got in on my second try. I'd second cowgirl's observation - I've worked with fantastic vets who didn't get in till round 3 or 4, and crappy vets who got in straightaway. I think a lot of that has to do with schools focusing too much on raw numbers - someone with 4.0 GPA and 1500+ GRE will likely get in many schools on first try. They might have minimal vet/life experience, no people skills or commo sense, and if interviewed just manage to seem human enough for the day to not get rejected. Those people, brilliant as they might be, probably shouldn't be vets, at least not outside a lab. With the over-emphasis on numbers, I think a lot of people who are plenty smart enough but not at the top of the ranking list get passed over, even though they have great experience, common sense, animal/people skills, etc.

Hey, don't be dissing all of us with good numbers! I have a 3.7+ cgpa and I worked my a** off for it. :D I think I'm not so bad with people, either ;)

That's how I interpreted it, at least. :shrug:

"They might have minimal vet/life experience, no people skills or commo sense, and if interviewed just manage to seem human enough for the day to not get rejected. Those people, brilliant as they might be, probably shouldn't be vets..."

Nstarz, I certainly didn't mean to imply ALL brainiacs (and I don't mean that in derogatory fashion) are lacking in common sense and people skills, but surely you can admit many are. Don't we all know some people who are "too smart for their own good?" And note I said "they MIGHT". Not "they WILL" or "all". If you've got the best of all traits, good for you. Personally, I am probably stronger in common sense and working with people, and wish I had more of your brain power, but I don't have it all. Sorry to offend.

No problem ;) You didn't really offend, I was just making an off-handed comment that could or not be seen as humorous :D

(Hence the smilies)

Last edited: