How many times did you change your specialty choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many times have you seriously changed your desired specialty?

• Never, I entered medical school with the same specialty in mind

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Once

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Twice

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Three times

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Four or more times

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how many times everyone has changed their specialty of choice since entering medical school. I find it unlikely that anyone has actually stayed the same since they entered...And I mean serious changes, not 2-3 week long periods where you briefly entertained the idea of family medicine only to go back to dermatology.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious how many times everyone has changed their specialty of choice since entering medical school. I find it unlikely that anyone has actually stayed the same since they entered...And I mean serious changes, not 2-3 week long periods where you briefly entertained the idea of family medicine only to go back to dermatology.

Changed from "I have no idea," to "Neuro is pretty sweet."

Currently finishing up MS2.

I keep entertaining the same things even after exposure to other stuff. I think I have been sufficiently exposed to most of the fields growing up though.

Radiology, EM, GS and Anesthesia and maybe IM with CCM or something.

Rads and EM are by far near the top still. Every time I think I found something else, I end up being called back to them a few days later.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread would be more meaningful in residency subforum.

I think I have consistently entertained the ideas of Peds, Psych and PM&R all throughout my first year of school.
Granted, I did investigate other areas briefly but always came back to those top three.

0. I came in thinking EM but decided to give all specialties a fair shot. Third year solidified EM for me - it feels like home.

This is interesting. I always thought most people changed their minds and ended up doing a different residency than what they originally thought when they came to med school.

My top 3 right now (i'm an M1) are neurology, ENT, and orthopedics.

Absolutely no primary care specialties
I'll commit to one of these after I see my board scores.

Ortho, rads, Gen surg (Trauma or surg oncology),