how many times is it ok to take the mcat for medical school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cccc, Aug 17, 2002.

1. cccc

cccc New Member

took the mcat today...and it went really bad and it was my second time taking them..and im almost positive ill be takin them again..but will it look bad to take them 3 times..what do med schools look at..let me know what you guys think..it would really help me out

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Focus

Focus crazy!!
    7+ Year Member

Hi cccc,

The Dean of admissions from U. of Maryland actually spoke at our school and he repeatedly said that they don't care how many times you take the MCAT, they look at the latest score. I was also told this by an Admission Officer at Yale University.

- Focus

4. lilmacstew

lilmacstew Member
    7+ Year Member

I have heard that you can take it 3 times, without having to ask permission. I believe that was information that I read in a MCAT study book.
    Wait till you find out how you did on the MCAT. But just personal question, how was it? I have heard some horror stories, and I have heard stories that it was easy. I have heard that the individuals in charge, can make the experience pure hell. :eek:
    Crystal

5. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Schools that do consider old MCAT scores are usually very secretive about it. When a school doesn't directly come out and say that they ignore old scores...assume that they consider old scores heavily.

6. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just curious - why don't you think you did well? If you were doing well on the practice tests, why aren't you confident that you also did well on the real one? And if you weren't doing well on practice tests, why would you take the real test?

Good luck. The test is NOT fun.

7. cccc

cccc New Member

well i was averaging a 33 on the AAMC practice tests and basically today, i was on passage 7 when 5 minutes were left on verbal, at that point was thinkin of voidin and have no idea what i was doin on physics cause i was thinkin bout how bad i had done..and then bio i didnt finish had to guess on bout 7 questions..thought that was pretty tough...so this is why i have a feelin im not gonna get the scores i was gettin on the real think unless its an act of god...i dont know im just not good at these type of tests in a pressure situation...if you are wondering what i estimate my score to be im guessin a 6V, 9P, 9B....equals no shot to get into med school, cause lets just say the gpa, it aint helpin too much either, despite enginnering, isnt a 3.9