How many to rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For residency match, there was data that told you what your percent chance of matching was based on how many programs you ranked. Does this data exist for fellowship? I looked on the NRMP charting outcomes for fellowship match last year and couldn't find this piece of information. I'd like to know how many I need to rank to be safe.

So far I have 9 interviews (7 in solid academic programs where I'd want to go). I don't think I'll go on any more than 12 interviews. Is this too many? Too few? What's everyone's opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! I wonder why they choose not to include this data in the subsequent years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea either what is "too many" or "too few" - I think a lot of people feel in the end they go on too many interviews when its all over with, but everyone wonders if there is chance they may not match if they go on too few...I know the limited number of spots compared to our prior experiences with internal medicine programs can add to this concern too. At any rate, between work schedules/cost, I am strictly capping my interview list at 10 max, and I think i'll go on 8-10!