How many transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Archdelux

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a couple college courses in high school; so I would need to submit that transcript to AMCAS. Do I just need to get one transcript from the college, send it to amcas and then forget about it? Will I need more transcripts later on?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took a couple college courses in high school; so I would need to submit that transcript to AMCAS. Do I just need to get one transcript from the college, send it to amcas and then forget about it? Will I need more transcripts later on?

Thanks!

You'll probably need to have official transcripts sent to the school you end up attending, and a *few* schools want a transcript if you interview, but for the most part you don't have to worry about them once you're verified by AMCAS. Have a transcript sent from every college/grad school you've attended.

really? So even after I submit my transcripts and stuff to amcas, the med school will want my official transcripts from the community college? And for every school I interview at?? I mean, a transcript from my home institution is no big deal, but from the comm. college that i took a class in high school, I will have to mail a request and then get the transcripts mailed back. I thought that I just needed one of those transcripts to be sent to amcas and then I'm done.. Maybe i misunderstood..?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every class taken at an institution of higher education needs to have an associated transcript submitted to AMCAS. Some schools may request a copy of their own during the admissions or matriculation process. Mine did not.

One other thing to point out is that if you still haven't completed pre-req's at the time of your acceptance, they will definitely want a final transcript before you can matriculate.

Is it common for medical schools to request transcripts after the AMCAS process? Is it common for them to request only the transcript from the home institution or from the community college (in this example) as well?

You mentioned that yours did not--It doesn't seem reasonable for them to do this, since it would serve no purpose.. do many schools request this additional step?

really? So even after I submit my transcripts and stuff to amcas, the med school will want my official transcripts from the community college? And for every school I interview at?? I mean, a transcript from my home institution is no big deal, but from the comm. college that i took a class in high school, I will have to mail a request and then get the transcripts mailed back. I thought that I just needed one of those transcripts to be sent to amcas and then I'm done.. Maybe i misunderstood..?

Yes, every course you've taken above the high school level, regardless of whether they were toward a degree.

If you reread my post, I said that only a few schools request copies of your transcripts if you interview (BU, for example). For the most part, you're "done" after sending those transcripts to AMCAS (in terms of the application process), but you might need to send transcripts to the school you end up attending the summer before you begin. This is in part because some schools require you to complete all of your courses/degrees in good standing as a condition of acceptance.

Ordering transcripts really isn't a big deal or even a hassle....why are people so concerned about schools seeing your transcripts (since schools see the AMCAS version of your transcript on your primary application)?

Ordering transcripts really isn't a big deal or even a hassle

Yikes, yes it is. Anybody who has been to more than one college, has done military coursework, took time off between undergrad and postbac premed, or went to an institution that doesn't exist any more has a HUGE job on their hands. I'm expecting to need 8 weeks of lead time to get my 1st undergrad school to pony up, based on the last time I ordered transcripts, and that's not as bad as some turnarounds.

The scholarships and programs that want my high school transcript, even though I'm 40 and Reagan was president when I was in high school, are the funnest.

Yes, every course you've taken above the high school level, regardless of whether they were toward a degree.

I thought every course taken at colleges must be sent and is also counted in GPA even though it is below college level. Isn't it?

How are classes taken in high school at a community college counted in the AMCAS GPA? Do they factor into the cumulative undergraduate GPA? How do admissions commitees view these grades (especially if they are not in the sciences)? Would a C or even an F really reduce your chances?

My college courses taken during high school were included in my AMCAS GPA, but since they affected my overall AMCAS GPA I made sure to bring it up in interviews when asked why my GPA was lower. I just had to send in transcripts once to AMCAS--never to the individual schools I interviewed at. Hope that helps.

Shpamme, are you in medical school currently? Did you send in a transcript after you matriculated? By the way--which schools did you apply/interview at? Where were you accepted? Congrats, btw!

How are classes taken in high school at a community college counted in the AMCAS GPA? Do they factor into the cumulative undergraduate GPA? How do admissions commitees view these grades (especially if they are not in the sciences)? Would a C or even an F really reduce your chances?

Every course, taken at colleges you have attended under any circumstance, must be sent. But I am not sure about below college level courses.