How many TY/Prelim interviews are enough to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorneliaSt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for radiology residencies it's best to go on at least 10 interviews but what about transitional year/prelim programs? I'm scheduled for 8 right now and my schedule for possible future radiology interviews is starting to get tight so it would be great if I could stop scheduling more TY/Prelim year interviews. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I know for radiology residencies it's best to go on at least 10 interviews but what about transitional year/prelim programs? I'm scheduled for 8 right now and my schedule for possible future radiology interviews is starting to get tight so it would be great if I could stop scheduling more TY/Prelim year interviews. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Holy...you've gotten 8 transitional/prelim interviews already? I thought most of them come out after the Dean's letter. Anyway, I plan on going on 8 interviews. Someone i know matched at their #6 on their transitional ROL, so I guess it would be smart to interview at 8-10.

Sorry to ask a seperate question in your thread but it's a similar topic...

If I get a rads interview at a program and they offer a seperate TY programs at the same place, would it be too early to contact the TY program to inquire about an interview?

I went on around 12 I think but I think 8 would be more than fine, especially if you have a few less competitive prelim ones.

Sorry to ask a seperate question in your thread but it's a similar topic...

If I get a rads interview at a program and they offer a seperate TY programs at the same place, would it be too early to contact the TY program to inquire about an interview?

Not sure, maybe contact the rad program saying how interested you are in their program and how it would be great if you could match at their TY program for convenience sake with a question at the end asking if the radiology residency has any type of non official reserved spots for the TY program. I could possibly see this as making the program think you are extra interested in them since you want to do intern year there too. That's just my thought though. If they don't have any connection with the TY program then I don't think it would be uncouth to contact the TY program directly with your situation.