how many unfilled anesthesia spots? surgery spots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many anesthesia spots went unfilled this year. I have been hearing very low numbers. Is anesthesia fast becoming radiology (dare I say)? You know, radiology was very unpopular as close as the later 90s.

What about surgery? I hear there are many unfilled CATEGORICAL spots at pretigeous schools like ucsf and harvard.

Members don't see this ad.

Anesth: 57(40 CA1 and 17 PGY-1)
Surg: dunno...tehre's some earlier posts detailing that info. Look it up.

The unfilled surgery positions at UCSF were prelim; there were 58 unfilled categorical surgery positions prior to the scramble.

I think, if anything, Anesthesiology will take some of the "pressure" off of recently extremely competitive fields such as Emergency, Radiology, and Ophthalmology. Perhaps this will be a very positive thing. I mean anesthesiology has well over 1200 spots per year offered, so I don't forsee it becoming as competitive as Dermatology, Ophthalmology, ENT, Ortho, etc. But this is just my $0.02.

I would like for someone to formulate US-MD (seniors) unmatch rates for all the specialties.

Is EM still around 6%?
Radiology 25%?
Anesthesiology 2-4%?
etc.????

Best wishes, Frank.

:clap: