Quantcast

How many units do you need?

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I want to graduate in 3.5 years. But without my AP credit, that is not 120 units. I know medical schools require 120 units for its matriculants.
But will my AP credit be counted towards this requirement? I would have something like 150 units with AP. And of course, I would have my BA degree.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I want to graduate in 3.5 years. But without my AP credit, that is not 120 units. I know medical schools require 120 units for its matriculants.
But will my AP credit be counted towards this requirement? I would have something like 150 units with AP. And of course, I would have my BA degree.

Most schools ask for 90 units, cuz a lot of people who go to med school are smart and have AP units. Contact/ check the school individually. Premeds on this forum are not on the adcom, so we cannot really help you out with this unless we have a lot of free time and we check each schools website individually.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that enough to get a bachelors degree is sufficient. The unit count is usually if you don't have the diploma (pretty rare these days)

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know medical schools require 120 units for its matriculants.

But will my AP credit be counted towards this requirement?

None of the schools I applied to (midwest) refused to accept my AP credits. Since the issue is school-specific (and maybe only true in California), you'd need to check out the schools you're most interested in to know what they require.