How many with a 4.0 & >30 haven't gotten in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papa Smurf

Thug 4 Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this POLL for a fellow g'ville peep (PelicanMan). Yet another Florida resident f&*%*& by this state, but I digress. Anyway, if you have a 4.0 GPA and > 30 MCAT, have you been accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks alot Papa Smurf. I love the smurfs I use to watch them in Israel in Hebrew.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently having a 4.0 is not the drawback we've been led to believe! :wink:

i guess your right SMW

i think it's fair to say that anybody who applied to about 15 schools (prudently), including all state schools, should get in with a 3.75 or above and 30 or above. no way around it, i would think....

I have a 3.9, 38-40Q MCAT, and I'm still waiting.

But my state school is non-rolling, and won't send out their first round of decisions until about a month from now. And I only applied to five schools in the US.

Still...

Just outta curiosity...Are there any people out there with a 4.0 and over a 30 MCAT who have not yet been accepted....and only applied to like 10 schools (most of which were top 10 programs or top 20???)

I have a friend who did that...

I have a 4.0 and a 34-36R and I gotta admit I'm surprised how many places I got rejected pre-interview (basically from all the Big Guns - Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, Penn, Cornell) My extracurriculars are somewhat lacking though since I finished undergrad in 3 years and am going straight through so that explains it. This process is not JUST about numbers, though it is to some extent. Still, I have 4 acceptances and withdrew from 5 schools post-invite so I'm not complaining... :)

I got rejected pre-interview at both Harvard and Yale. I was beginning to get nervous until I got an interview at Duke...

Anyway, I'm pretty confident I'll get in at my home school, but if I don't, I probably won't have an interview.

With the exception of my home school, all the schools I applied to were top 10.

Basically I have a 4.0 and 37 MCAT. Have been accepted to one lower tier school, but the only other schools I applied to were in the top ten. I got interviews at every top ten I applied to, but have only been waitlisted at two so far. Did I mention I can't stand this waiting game?

Good i'm not the only one with a 4.0 31 mcat not accepted yet.

All the other people in my situation

WHAT a Fu**! right

Well the longer I wait the sweeter it will be.

what i've realized from this and other thangs is that having an incredible mcat (ie ~40 or so) is a no no. it's too good. people are afraid..maybe they think it's a fluke--maybe they think something else, i don't know. but a 36 will put you right at the top of the best possible scenario, so dont' shoot for over a 37--whatever you do!

for gpa, the higher the better, unlike the mcat. BUT a 4.0 from a school that's not very well respected could lead to doubts about the quality of the institution. unless they've had much experience with your particular school in the past and know that a 4.0 is hard to come by, they may assume (wihtout comparing you to other applicants from your school cuz they're dumb like that i think) that your school wasn't very good. so i'd say try and stick to around 3.9-3.95 but whatever you do, don't get a 4.0!

see--getting like perfect scores (perfect gpa, near perfect mcats--scary numbers like 40) don't seem to sit well with people. while it's impressive to me and others, if i was admitting students, i'd probably choose a 3.9 with 37 over a 4.0 with 40. you probably feel the same way...i guess because i'd assume the guy with slightly lower numbers is more of a flexible, normal kind of guy, not just some nerd that studies all the time and will not make a good doc, but a great researcher instead. the guy with the more "real" numbers just seems better fit to me...call me crazy, but i'll bet one dollar you feel the same.

(yes, i'm talking about 10 10 220)

btw, i can't speak for everyone with good numbers and no acceptances, but maybe i can attack pelicanman for a second. it might have something to do with your PS or ECs. maybe you don't show much interest in the field of health care and medicine. maybe you do, and have gotten many interviews like i'd go ahead and assume you have, but haven't been accepted YET because you don't come off as the best man for the job? perhaps you should try to behave like a real man in your interviews (instead of a pelican man :D ...see no harm no fowl)

PS. i have tied myself to the stake willingly and for my own amusement...fire it up!!!!!

wow! so my strategy paid off!!! 3.9/37 here

•••quote:•••Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•what i've realized from this and other thangs is that having an incredible mcat (ie ~40 or so) is a no no. it's too good. people are afraid..maybe they think it's a fluke--maybe they think something else, i don't know. but a 36 will put you right at the top of the best possible scenario, so dont' shoot for over a 37--whatever you do!

for gpa, the higher the better, unlike the mcat. BUT a 4.0 from a school that's not very well respected could lead to doubts about the quality of the institution. unless they've had much experience with your particular school in the past and know that a 4.0 is hard to come by, they may assume (wihtout comparing you to other applicants from your school cuz they're dumb like that i think) that your school wasn't very good. so i'd say try and stick to around 3.9-3.95 but whatever you do, don't get a 4.0!

see--getting like perfect scores (perfect gpa, near perfect mcats--scary numbers like 40) don't seem to sit well with people. while it's impressive to me and others, if i was admitting students, i'd probably choose a 3.9 with 37 over a 4.0 with 40. you probably feel the same way...i guess because i'd assume the guy with slightly lower numbers is more of a flexible, normal kind of guy, not just some nerd that studies all the time and will not make a good doc, but a great researcher instead. the guy with the more "real" numbers just seems better fit to me...call me crazy, but i'll bet one dollar you feel the same.

(yes, i'm talking about 10 10 220)•••••

Hey Caveman

Wow the first attack on the Pelican Man, but its all good I think caveman is cool.

Well honestly it may be my EC i really doubt that its my PS because it is pretty good I think. But my EC clearly show I am interested in medicine.

And you assumed wrong I have only had 3 interviews but I think its because I applied to too many top schools.

Hey at least I can fly.

yo matthew, where did u apply, interviewed, and did u say you are not accepted yet?

Did I just hear my callingcard?! I just got an acceptance back yesterday!!! :clap:

Sincerely,
Mr. 4.0

•••quote:•••Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•(yes, i'm talking about 10 10 220)•••••I used to think the same... But I still dial 1-800-COLLECT.

Sincerely,
Mr. 4.0

My friend had a 3.86 and a 34R and got rejected pre-interview from everywhere he applied and he did NOT apply to top tens.