• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

how many years of experience as RN before entering NP

BSN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2005
    Most university ask for a min. of 1 year experience as RN before entering NP program what do you guys think. How long should a student with long term goal of becoming an NP work as an RN before applying to the masters program?

mx_599

Should've been a mechanic
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Apr 5, 2005
    The Badlands
      BSN said:
      Most university ask for a min. of 1 year experience as RN before entering NP program what do you guys think. How long should a student with long term goal of becoming an NP work as an RN before applying to the masters program?
      I think it depends on what you want to do. I am not up on all of the NP scopes of practice, but the one's I worked with in AZ did EXACTLY the same as our PA's in the cardiology clinic and in rounds at the hospital. Our NP did not do ANY of the nursing duties. She was strictly a mid-level provider like the PA's.

My point is that more than 1 yr of experience might not be that beneficial. Well, experience never hurts, but I think you know what I mean. Why put your life on hold? Go full force while you have it in you and go to NP school as soon as you can get in. Just my opinion.

As an NP, you might be slightly deficient in some of the science areas compared to PA curriculum. However, this could me made up for with your own learning. I could be wrong, maybe the NP curriculum is very similar to PA. Not sure? I do know that PA curriculum is sort of like a mini-medical school. :)

About the Ads

BSN

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jul 15, 2005
        mx_599 said:
        I think it depends on what you want to do. I am not up on all of the NP scopes of practice, but the one's I worked with in AZ did EXACTLY the same as our PA's in the cardiology clinic and in rounds at the hospital. Our NP did not do ANY of the nursing duties. She was strictly a mid-level provider like the PA's.

My point is that more than 1 yr of experience might not be that beneficial. Well, experience never hurts, but I think you know what I mean. Why put your life on hold? Go full force while you have it in you and go to NP school as soon as you can get in. Just my opinion.

As an NP, you might be slightly deficient in some of the science areas compared to PA curriculum. However, this could me made up for with your own learning. I could be wrong, maybe the NP curriculum is very similar to PA. Not sure? I do know that PA curriculum is sort of like a mini-medical school. :)

Thanks for your message.
        Yeah, I don’t think more than one year should be needed either. Just trying to start a conversation and see what others think. Well, one year and then most nurses work part time while in school which is 2 years past BSN. Even though the job description is not the same, the RN reading charts and watching the whole process of diagnosis and treatment, which teaches them a lot. They have to understand the patients disorder, treatment they are providing and medicatins they are passing out. They should know what side effects to look for ect.
        Yes I think the PA program is a mini medical model. I don’t agree that NP program is less as far as science goes but just looks at things a different way. I guess as MD and DO are dif. Many doctors like the NP for this reason; they bring something new to the table which patients seem to like.
        In the end I don’t think the initials behind your name make a big dif but the person does. As I have said before, people will be people you will find good practitioners and bad ones in every field.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.