yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
So here's my situation...

Finally looked over all my transcripts and realized I have a higher GPA than I thought.

Current overall GPA = 3.15
Current science GPA = 3.7

I have about 4 classes that would be worthwhile to retake, which, assuming A's (which is a near guarantee as you'll see below) would bump me up to almost a 3.4.

The classes I could retake would be from my fresh/soph years and include: microeconomics, accounting, personal health, and intro to college mathematics.....all really easy stuff. I took all of my pre-reqs and additional coursework as a post-bacc, and have straight A's in all of my pre-reqs (B+ in chem I) + some additional bio classes.

Now, here is my dilemma - I could retake personal health (which I got a D in the first time), get an A, and give my overall GPA a nice bump. Would it be better to improve my raw numbers by re-taking these low level classes, or would I be better suited to take more advanced classes, even though they'll effect my numbers less. Thanks!

JDMcNugent

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'd say do a couple of easy re-takes and if your schedule (work, personal, etc.) allows, throw in an upper level bio all in one semester/quarter. Since you have additional bio courses though, you may benefit more from doing re-takes and using the grade replacement system. Just my two pennies though.

OP
Y

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the replies.

In addition to this thread, I sent out emails to several admission offices. So far I received a couple of responses...each admission counselor suggested I focus on taking additional higher level classes and not worry about re-taking the lower stuff. The woman I rcvd a response from, from Midwestern told me my science GPA will be more heavily weighted than overall anyhow.

Just an FYI to anyone else who may be in the same boat.

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the replies.

In addition to this thread, I sent out emails to several admission offices. So far I received a couple of responses...each admission counselor suggested I focus on taking additional higher level classes and not worry about re-taking the lower stuff. The woman I rcvd a response from, from Midwestern told me my science GPA will be more heavily weighted than overall anyhow.

Just an FYI to anyone else who may be in the same boat.
Your cGPA isn't so low that it will keep you out, especially considering your sGPA. Take a couple upper level science classes if you can, more importantly you need to get a decent MCAT and everything will fall into place.

Filet Mignon
Jan 26, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't retake non-science courses. If you are going to take courses, enroll in some upper level bio you haven't taken yet. It will give you a better foundation of knowledge and show that you can do science..which is basically all you do in med school. If you are still going to do it, just keep it to a minimum as it won't benefit you too much.

OP
Y

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I guess my biggest concern was, schools would look at my cGPA, realize it would pull down their average GPA stats, and not want to deal with me, despite my sGPA. My thinking was that by raising my cGPA, even if it meant by taking gimme classes, would make them more likely to give me as hot, because I wouldn't be hurting their overall average nearly as much. But maybe this thinking was wrong..

Last edited:

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I guess my biggest concern was, schools would look at my cGPA, realize it would pull down their average GPA stats, and not want to deal with me, despite my sGPA. In which case, raising my cGPA, even if it meant by taking gimme classes, would make them more likely to give me as hot, because I wouldn't be hurting their overall average nearly as much. But maybe this thinking was wrong..
I think it will look better if that cGPA is 3.2+. Retake 2 more classes plus 2 upper division.

OP
Y

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Well, I'm only .05 away from a 3.2, so simply taking the upper level classes would get me there. With the make ups, I'd be closing in on 3.4.

I think it will look better if that cGPA is 3.2+. Retake 2 more classes plus 2 upper division.