How might I determine whether a Letter of Rec will be personal and thoughtful or will be little more than a template letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not at all sure to what extent letter writers will advocate for me. I am not able to ask in person so I cannot observe their response to my request. I do always specify "strong letter" in my requests.

I've just now asked two professors at my University months in advance and both have said they would write a letter for me. One responded within 10 minutes "Sure! No problem. I just need your CV and statement to write a good letter". The other, I had to send a follow-up one week later to which they responded in 5 minutes with "I'm happy to write you a letter. Just send your CV and reminders as your due date approaches." I walked and chatted with the first prof often and earned an A+. The second, I interacted with only in crowded office hours but we joked and laughed quite a bit - earned an A.

I have another professor I would like to ask who never knew my name but made several really nice comments about my ability and my knack for the subject while I was in her class, often saying "these are the types of questions that I get excited about!". And then there are two professors from my time at community college that actually knew me a lot better (had one for an entire year) and were very happy to write me a letter: One offered to write me one and the other said "Yes, you have really impressed me this year!" when I asked. These interactions were 2-2.5 years ago however. This was a turning point though for me grade-wise and it may help to have one of them advocating strongly for how motivated I was with them in cc.

I have two more quarters of classes and will ask for more if I build a decent relationship with any of these upcoming professors. Again, I'm not shy and I prefer to come to office hours prepared. I simply have limited interaction with these professors and I cannot tell how strongly they will vouch for me relative to one another. My university is overcrowded and one-on-one time with professors here simply is a challenge to get - all upper bio elective classes have 100+ students. I'll also ask for one from my research lab PI and hopefully someone from clinical experience.

Should I take note of how long it takes for a response? The tone of the message? How willing they are to sit and discuss with me what should go into this letter? I had a poor/rocky academic past so I really do need ones that will really advocate for me. Any clues?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask all of them to write you a letter because there is a good chance, that some of them will not follow through (look at past threads of students being ghosted). If you built a relationship with certain professors (like the ones at the CC), most likely they will write you a strong letter and you have to trust the process and hope for the best.

If you are paranoid: *cough* you could have them sent somewhere where you could read them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask all of them to write you a letter because there is a good chance, that some of them will not follow through (look at past threads of students being ghosted). If you built a relationship with certain professors (like the ones at the CC), most likely they will write you a strong letter and you have to trust the process and hope for the best.

If you are paranoid: *cough* you could have them sent somewhere where you could read them.
No the relationship is not like with the cc professors who taught small classes and were more available.

Lol. I have no idea how I would send it to myself anyway

I suppose I could enroll in a small graduate level course but I need to focus on ECs and don't want my quarter to be needlessly difficult.
lol don't do that just for letters. I wish i had some constructive advice for you but this is just one of the parts of the cycle that you don't have much control over. that's why great letters go so far bc they are so hard to get. at this point go with what you got and focus on polishing the other parts of your app that you can control.

No the relationship is not like with the cc professors who taught small classes and were more available.

Lol. I have no idea how I would send it to myself anyway
If you are using a lettering service like Interfolio it isn't too hard to figure out.

lol don't do that just for letters. I wish i had some constructive advice for you but this is just one of the parts of the cycle that you don't have much control over. that's why great letters go so far bc they are so hard to get. at this point go with what you got and focus on polishing the other parts of your app that you can control.
Haha no I won't. Do you think a professor would write "happy to write a letter for you" or "Sure! No problem..." and then submit something like "They took my class in Fall and earned an A. Passing my course indicates proficiency in the following topics:..."?

Anything to look out for that indicates a weak letter writer?

If you are using a lettering service like Interfolio it isn't too hard to figure out.
I think I would stress too much about them potentially finding out somehow that it wasn't sent to a school

Reactions: 1 user
Haha no I won't. Do you think a professor would write "happy to write a letter for you" or "Sure! No problem..." and then submit something like "They took my class in Fall and earned an A. Passing my course indicates proficiency in the following topics:..."?

Anything to look out for that indicates a weak letter writer?

Yes. That’s why when you ask, you ask if they feel comfortable writing you a strong letter. Unless they’re a complete dingus, they won’t say yes to writing you a strong letter and then write a form letter like that. Unfortunately, unless you’ve interacted with them more than just handing in exams, they probably won’t be able to.

However, in your case it sounds like they both know you a bit. I would say from your description, they will likely be writing you strong letters since they both offered to write good letters, you’ve interacted with them personally, and they want your CV to include personal info.

Reactions: 1 users
Here let me give you the absolute, definitive answer: you cant. There is no way to determine the kind of letter that you may get from any writer. You have you rely on the trust and experience of the relationship that you have with the writer. The only guarantee you can get is if your dont ask for a letter, you are guaranteed not to have one sent. If you are going to search for signs and hints by reading tea leaves or seeing a psychic medium, you will drive yourself crazy. You make the best effort and you move one. But freezing with inaction with worry over questions that are impossible to answer, would seem a recipe for an ulcer or nervous breakdown, especially, since the application process can take a year with often months of silence from schools
Well if I have interacted similarly with multiple professors -without having worked extensively with them - how might I narrow down to those that are *likely to be* the strongest? Yes, I'm focused on this at the moment but I definitely won't acquire an ulcer over this lol. I will be fine! I just know that letter quality will be very important in my case. I want my writers to assuage any doubts about my ability to perform academically.

Should I stick with those I simply got along with better on a personal level - easier to talk and joke with? One I mentioned above was generally socially awkward but they did often say little things about my ability and even in front of a large lecture hall, managed to say little comments like "Oh yes, you like these types of questions!" when I raised my hand.

Yes. That’s why when you ask, you ask if they feel comfortable writing you a strong letter. Unless they’re a complete dingus, they won’t say yes to writing you a strong letter and then write a form letter like that. Unfortunately, unless you’ve interacted with them more than just handing in exams, they probably won’t be able to.

However, in your case it sounds like they both know you a bit. I would say from your description, they will likely be writing you strong letters since they both offered to write good letters, you’ve interacted with them personally, and they want your CV to include personal info.
So I did make a point to write "strong letter of recommendation". You're thinking so long as I have written that, a professor has agreed they are able to write something a little more personal?

Not unless you have h. pylori!

My levels are low! lmao

Last edited: