How much ability to perform ultrasound-guided procedures can you have if you don't do a fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've seen nonfellowship-trained doctors perform ultrasound procedures before, but I'm wondering how rare it is. If I get plenty of training in residency and continue to study and hone my skills, can I perform a lot of ultrasound-guided procedures without having to do a sports or pain fellowship? How about if I'm in a more rural location? Trying to sort out my future plans. Thanks to anybody for advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Much about where you trained to determine if adequate.
Standards are loose and there are a number of folks who used US for billing but could not see more than a polar bear in a snow storm.

For adequate training, try GCC.
Services

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to continuing down the US path!

I've seen nonfellowship-trained doctors perform ultrasound procedures before, but I'm wondering how rare it is. If I get plenty of training in residency and continue to study and hone my skills, can I perform a lot of ultrasound-guided procedures without having to do a sports or pain fellowship? How about if I'm in a more rural location? Trying to sort out my future plans. Thanks to anybody for advice!

Depends on the partners in your practice. If you're competing against fellowship trained interventionalists then you will run into difficulties. If you are solo then you'll have no issues

Reactions: 1 user