how much anatomy can one learn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently studying neuroanatomy and am wondering how much detail I should be memorizing. My question really applies for anatomy as a whole. Everyone says not to worry at all about anatomy but what does that really mean. Should I know the name, structure, composition, connections, and function of absolutely everything in the body? I think I am spending far too much time studying neuroanatomy and not enough on neuroscience. Will I really need much detail for the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is pretty much the same where ever you go...are you in med school now...studying on your own in anticipatin for school?

I don't think it is necessary to review prior to school...but I guess looking over it more superficially can't hurt...

For your med school courses you will be required to know every single thing there is to know about anatomy, neuroscience, neuroanatomy, whatever. When you take your Step 1 exam, you won't have to remember nearly as much detail as you had to for your courses. The goal of a school course is to teach you practically everything there is to know about a subject; the goal of review texts is to tell you how much of that crap you can flush and how much you ought to retain.

My point is: If you want to make an A in your first year courses, you need to study everything. Once you pass those classes, it's ok to forget most of the detail you learned because most review books will guide you as to what first-year material to retain.

Just to clarify...are you asking what you need to know for boards...or for 1st year of school??

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Yosh
Just to clarify...are you asking what you need to know for boards...or for 1st year of school??

I am in second year and currently doing neuro (I know, our schedule is a bit different). I want to know for the boards. Thanks.

Originally posted by trkd
I am in second year and currently doing neuro (I know, our schedule is a bit different). I want to know for the boards. Thanks.
For the boards, you can look at your first aid book to see what is required for anatomy for step I. I would just know everything (memorized, especially the brachial plexus) in anatomy for step I. Step Up for step I also has some good anatomy quick reviews in it too. Most (normal) students have forgotten most of first year anatomy by the time that boards roll around, I wouldn't worry too much about it.