skybliss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Help =). I'm a first year med student and I am almost certain I want to do psychiatry.

But my question is, how much are general psychiatrists allowed to work with kids and adolescents without going through the 2 year C/A fellowship?

I really love working with kids, and I think with a lot of the roots of psychological problems, they really need to be fixed when they are still young. Also, combining education with it all is really neat. There's the KIPP program and some other charter schools that I want to work with after I pop out from residency.

But I really don't want to do 2 extra years of the C/A fellowship. It'll make me too old!

Oh, and I think you can bill more per C/A visit than general psychiatry :3

st2205

Attending
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
This thread is currently being discussed that may give you some insight into this issue. If you're at a program that has a C&A fellowship you can begin that during your 4th year of residency, so you essentially shave off a year of the 4 + 2.

Doc Samson

gamma irradiated
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Not Boston anymore
Status
Attending Physician
This thread is currently being discussed that may give you some insight into this issue. If you're at a program that has a C&A fellowship you can begin that during your 4th year of residency, so you essentially shave off a year of the 4 + 2.
Even if your residency does not have a C&A fellowship, you can in most cases fast track into a fellowship elsewhere after 3 years of residency (unless your residency does something very sneaky like push a lot of graduation requirements into 4th year).

maranatha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2006
Off-centered
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If you really want to work with kids it is essential that you do the fellowship. The extra year required to do something you're really excited about is nothing in the scheme of things.