how much attendance is mandatory for lectures/preclinics and clinics in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godbless

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i am a foreign trained dentist and starting school soon with advanced standing in third year,and since i am not very familiar with how things work in dental school here in US, i wish to know if there is any attendance for lectures/preclinicals/clinicals in school?is there a minimum percentage of classes/preclinicals one has to attend or there is no minimum???how frequently do most people attend lectures and preclinical labs in schools in US?what happens if we miss like 2-3 days in a month.........???
also dental school in US is only mon-fri and not on sat like in my country,
those dental students who have foreign dentists with advanced standing in their class, can you tell if you think the advanced standing students have it a little easier than regular dds students since they already have a hang of it????
how tough is dental school in US? is it possible to fly back on weekends(almost every)to see my spouse in another state, if money isnt an issue???
please reply guys, i need some good suggestions .:)

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys,
i am a foreign trained dentist and starting school soon with advanced standing in third year,and since i am not very familiar with how things work in dental school here in US, i wish to know if there is any attendance for lectures/preclinicals/clinicals in school?is there a minimum percentage of classes/preclinicals one has to attend or there is no minimum???how frequently do most people attend lectures and preclinical labs in schools in US?what happens if we miss like 2-3 days in a month.........???
also dental school in US is only mon-fri and not on sat like in my country,
those dental students who have foreign dentists with advanced standing in their class, can you tell if you think the advanced standing students have it a little easier than regular dds students since they already have a hang of it????
how tough is dental school in US? is it possible to fly back on weekends(almost every)to see my spouse in another state, if money isnt an issue???
please reply guys, i need some good suggestions .:)

Too much. The biggest waste of time in dental school is lectures. If you are good at pre-clinical stuff, you won't spend much time in there. I spent about a month in pre-clinic out of 3 1/2 months because I finished everything. So, it just depends on you.

think of high school as far as attendence is concerned...now make it 2X more ridiculous and you will have a glimpse at the childish nature that is dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
Also depends on the school. ome schools have mandatory requirements for how many days you have to be there. some schools just tell you to get your crap done in two years and give you the responsibility.

If you are already into a program then call the specific school for the best answer. SDN is hardly the place to get a straight answer unfortunately.

i am talking about UIC, chicago............

Also depends on the school. ome schools have mandatory requirements for how many days you have to be there. some schools just tell you to get your crap done in two years and give you the responsibility.

If you are already into a program then call the specific school for the best answer. SDN is hardly the place to get a straight answer unfortunately.

Too much. The biggest waste of time in dental school is lectures. If you are good at pre-clinical stuff, you won't spend much time in there. I spent about a month in pre-clinic out of 3 1/2 months because I finished everything. So, it just depends on you.

hi,
so you mean basically there is no mandatory attendance for lectures or preclinicals at all if we finish the work to be done at a fast pace or staying back after school in labs on some days?
and i can go to school only 3-4 days a week, say from tues-thursday , stay back after school hours , finish my work much ahead of others and skip school from fri-mon to fly home to hubby?anyone at UIC?

hi,
so you mean basically there is no mandatory attendance for lectures or preclinicals at all if we finish the work to be done at a fast pace or staying back after school in labs on some days?
and i can go to school only 3-4 days a week, say from tues-thursday , stay back after school hours , finish my work much ahead of others and skip school from fri-mon to fly home to hubby?anyone at UIC?

Well, at Temple it depends on the teacher. Some teachers flip out if half the class is gone, where others seem jealous that half the class is gone and they have to stand up there and read their powerpoints to us. It would just depend on the school though. Call the schools you get accepted to and ask.

if i call up my school and ask how much attendance is required to pass, wudnt that seriously reflect upon my next 2 yrs under their nose?:oops: