How much $ can a non-profit school make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dental schools are non-profit institutions. How much can a school make and still be non-profit? Is it possible to hold schools accountable on unclear tuition/fee raises?

Members don't see this ad.

None? Any profit generated goes back into the school/college/university e.g. investing in faculty, investing in the building, potential reserves for the school, scholarship monies, etc. All schools will attempt to generate profit to keep making the school better but no one is pocketing that cash.

None? Any profit generated goes back into the school/college/university e.g. investing in faculty, investing in the building, potential reserves for the school, scholarship monies, etc. All schools will attempt to generate profit to keep making the school better but no one is pocketing that cash.

What about President/CEO/Dean/Faculty salaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know at ucla the clinical director was very transparent with us in that overall the clinic was losing money, and that the only department turning a profit was endo, but that pales to what the total losses were. What covers the gaps are state contributions, alumni donations, and the continual raises in tuition. Given the vastly reduced charges of dental work done at the schools and the understandably slow speed at which it is done, I would be surprised if any school made a significant profit.

Even for profit dental school don't make much money. My school is among the most ridiculously expensive yet it made a net profit of only $5mil out of $80mil collected. That's only 6%. Imagine you run a private practice with a 94% overhead!:(

I will counter that if dental schools were not profitable money makers, they wouldn't be opening up more at a break-neck pace.

I will counter that if dental schools were not profitable money makers, they wouldn't be opening up more at a break-neck pace.

Meh, even if a university broke even, I think dental schools would open up given that it may either add prestige to a university system and that there is a strong applicant pool.

However, you're right, dental schools make money. The high tuition definitely makes it profitable so to speak. But again, because there are no for-profit dental schools, that profit gets reinvested back to the university to improve (either the dental school itself or likely some other area in the university). Dental schools are not unique in that regard however.