How much can I contact a physician about shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwi44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(removed)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would it be appropriate to call their offices and leave a message with their secretaries to ask about what the doctor has decided?
Yes, it would be. Just assume that either they're too busy or they're not interested in allowing you to shadow them. Insisting on it is just going to make you look like a tool.

Yes, it would be. Just assume that they're not interested in allowing you to shadow them. Insisting on it is just going to make you look like a tool.

agreed. when i first started shadowing, I emailed probably 15 doctors and shadowed every single one of them that responded to me. i shadowed 1. move on and try different doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your primary care physician is a great person to start with, especially if they also do work in a local community hospital. If you really want to shadow an oncologist, I'm sure they can help you out.

how you email them? every private practice and teaching hospital i looked at doesn't show any emails for some reason. Oram i just not looking hard?

i've followed up once or twice if i had called and only spoken to the doc's administrative assistant or something, bc i figured that was a link where the question may have gotten lost pre-doctor. if you emailed the doc him/herself directly i'd probably let it lie and email some other people.