How much can the VR predict!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cervenka08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this wasn't really getting answered when I posted it in a different thread so I thought I would start my own.

I have a hard time seeing that accuracy of the VR score in predicting your aptitude and ability to perform in medical school. The reason for this is the randomness of the VR section. I found myself, through the 15 or so practice tests that I took, ranging a VR score from 7 to 13. This completely depended on my familiarity with writing style and/or the content, which as we all know, fluctuates wildly test to test. This "familiarity" I feel is different with each student, for example student A could really like reading philosophy and student B is quite comfortable with social science passages. If, on the actual test, there are four philosophy passages and no social science student B may very well recieve a poor score and student A a good one. Does student A really have more potential as a medical student or did he just get lucky that the actual tested reflected his interest/strengths.

The reason that this concept really bothers me because of a personal experience for which I dare to say is "unfair." This situation involved a classmate of mine with whom, during the studying process, I remained in close contact with. This student, like me, had good and bad VR days, a 7, 12, then a 9. On the actual test this friend had a "good" day and got a 12 and in contrast I had a "bad" day and got an 8. This I feel was not reflective of the differences in our abilities but does not matter because now he will be seen as someone very compentent in VR and I someone who will have difficulty with medical school because "I can't read." I just feel that any section that changes that much depending on the test should be taken with a grain of salt rather than the end all be all. If anyone has similar experiences or could offer some advice to resolve these issues that would be great.

Just so you know I am going to be ok considering a got a decent WS score and a 14 on BS and 13 on PS but this definitely will limit my possibilities.

Also note that I am really not trying to start trouble but just want a educated response to this question...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

VR is the only section on the MCAT (aside from writing, but who cares about writing) that does not test you on prior knowledge. I think this is the reason why it is so important. Some people are just more book smart than others and this comes through in the PS and BS sections. For someone to do well at the VR section they have to have the ability to learn and learn quickly from what they are reading. If you look at MSAR at all the top schools VR is their lowest average because it is the "hardest" section.

That is my two cents, but I am also saying this because VR was my best section on the MCAT...so I may be biased!

That kind of fluctuation is a bit surprising to me. Most of the people I have seen are very consistent on the VR section-- they start at a certain score and they remain there plus or minus one point throughout their study period. The science sections, on the other hand, usually come up significantly with more work put in. I think, though, that the old way of scoring verbal (giving a 12-15 or whatever instead of a specific score in that range) may have been better, because at the upper ranges I am not sure that the score reflects real differences in ability.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess (along with the pro) that:-

1) VR predicts ability to study any subject while PS and BS confirm the ability to study Sciences shown in the transcripts.
2) People who are good at either one or both, get steady scores,correspondingly. Fluctuation happens because mediocre test takers rely more or less on luck.
3) Writing is debatably for recreation reading....

Way off, far out?

The science sections (PS and BS) test analytical and logical cognitive abilities. The Verbal Reasoning section was implemented to test understanding of various subtleties involved in human communication and understanding. The Biological Sciences section most directly correlates to success on the USMLE Step 1 exam, with a correlation coefficient of .553 vs .491 for Physical Sciences and .397 for Verbal Reasoning. [2] Predictably, MCAT composite scores also correlate with USMLE Step 1 success.[3]