How much can you f*** up on CCS on still pass Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressmonkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finished Step 3 yesterday. Majorly messed up CCS cases (initially ordered enema not barium enema in a case, gave one wrong abx in 2 drug combo for another, got caught up in diagnosing a patient with HIV and had barely addressed the patient's CC when the case ended, never seemed to get all my patients to the post-major intervention state). When I think of the exam, I feel sick to my stomach. If any of y'all have taken Step 3 and passed despite a miserable CCS experience, let me know :(

Members don't see this ad.

not sure what % correlates to passing, but i got a 63ish on the UW assessment and they estimated it was 240. im going to guess mid 50s is going to get people near avg of 210-220, based on what other ppl said about UW. the cases are worth 25% of the total grade. so it depends how you did on mcq to know how much you need on the cases. UW cases said points are given for doing certain things and in certain order, or deducting for doing bad things. I'm assuming that if someone got mid 50% on mcq theyd have to do at least as well on the cases to get an avg score. for each 1% more they got right on mcq the more 3% they can get wrong on the cases to maintain that score, since mcq is worth 3x as much as cases.

Last edited:
Probably a lot. There were at least 2 cases where I didn't do the most optimal management (and likely on many of the other cases too, haha) and I ended up doing fine (check out my score post for more details). Just wait it out.

hope ^ is true. finished day 1 yesterday and all that was going through my mind all day was "WTF?!"

reeeeally not looking forward to today. :(