How much chance could be decreased by lowering GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the worst case scenario, my GPA could be decreased after this semester.

I am taking one 6 level grad school science class where grad students are happy with Bs, and professors love to give out Bs for pleasure.

Another class has been considered as an "easy A" class during the past 2 years, and suddenly our grad student instructor decided to fail every student by writing her test with many questions requiring beyond lecture + textbook after feeling bitter about half of students making As on the first test. The average was lowered from an A to a C. At least this class won't be counted toward BCPM or science GPA.

So, in the worst case scenario, my GPA could be dropped to these for getting 2 Bs. I am a senior, and I have only one more non-science class to take after this.

cGPA 3.73 --> 3.7

sGPA 3.7 --> 3.67

If I make straight As, it's possible to get cGPA 3.75 and sGPA 3.71

How detrimental are these? Am I going to be prevented from applying to Top-tier school? I am prevented from studying for MCAT, because of these two classes. Do I need to protect my GPA no matter what with the mindset of living or dying?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you need a lot of things to be competitive for top tier schools. Rarely is it GPA that keeps you out and I highly doubt it's true here since the grade difference is very small. That isn't to say your chances are very good but depend a lot on your EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
eh thats not too much of a difference. the cGPA is pretty much the same, and the science gpa could be rounded to a 3.7. try your best to get A's, but focus your attention on the mcat and stuff.

Wait, what you mean by rounding? If I get straight As then I can get 3.76 cumulative. (one more English class left to take during Summer) Is this going to be rounded to 3.8 and will be considered within 3.8 to 4.0 range?

Dude, don't worry about "rounding". Jesus.

my bad, I was bitter about studying for these annoying classes while I wanted to study for mcat so badly.

Wait, what you mean by rounding? If I get straight As then I can get 3.76 cumulative. (one more English class left to take during Summer) Is this going to be rounded to 3.8 and will be considered within 3.8 to 4.0 range?

lol, take a deep breath. to me, theres not a huuuge different between 3.76 and 3.8, so thats what i meant. i would say thats basically a 3.8, but its all up the schools.

either way, just relax (i know, this process is anything but relaxing), study well, and give it your best shot, cuz thats all anyone can ask for.

good luck!:)