How much debt do you anticipate being in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonalt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm projecting I'll be about 420k in debt when it's all said and done. Anybody else have a situation as grim as mine?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like @anonalt is either going to AZCOM or CCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like @anonalt is either going to AZCOM or CCOM.

WesternU. My 430k includes 75k I accrued in undergraduate. I fell in the unfortunate situation of getting absolutely zero federal (or otherwise) grants/scholarships/waivers and absolutely zero parental help.

I'll be looking at ~$300k when I graduate in 4 years. I have a family (husband and 4 kids), so I can't afford NOT to take the max allowable federal loans. This doesn't even count interest accrued during school AND the interest in residency if I end up doing forbearance. THAT, my friend, is the ugly part!

That's pretty crazy.

bout 250K, 85k of that from undergrad and post grad

250k anticipated but that is tentative. Likely could be higher. It truly is a travesty how much the cost of higher education has ballooned. Its an issue which doesn't get nearly as much attention politically as it deserves.

No one is even with 100k of where I will be...this is disheartening!

WesternU. My 430k includes 75k I accrued in undergraduate. I fell in the unfortunate situation of getting absolutely zero federal (or otherwise) grants/scholarships/waivers and absolutely zero parental help.
Either you are not planning on taking out the max loans or you didn't include the 50-60k of interests you will be accruing while in school.

I will be your classmate and I also have some debt from undergrad (58k). I calculated that I will have about 470k in debt by the end of the 4 years. Insanity.

About 250k for me. I am terrified every time I think about this blockbuster amount.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say 430k are you adding in interest or are you just calculating off
Tuition and living expenses for those 4 years. Greater than 400k sounds crazy considering 50k x 4 years is only 200k. Where are you getting the other 200 from?

When you say 430k are you adding in interest or are you just calculating off
Tuition and living expenses for those 4 years. Greater than 400k sounds crazy considering 50k x 4 years is only 200k. Where are you getting the other 200 from?

First of all, tuition is 52k not 50k. Also, if you factor in the 3% increase every year, then you will be looking at tuition of 52k, 53.5k, 55.5k, and 56.k for the four years, respectively. This averages out to be 54500 a year. Add another 4k a year in loan fees, books, supplies, and boards fees. This brings the total so far to 243k.

The op also mentioned that they had an undergrad debt of 75k. Therefore this leaves the op only 111k for the 4 years of living expenses, not 200.

First of all, tuition is 52k not 50k. Also, if you factor in the 3% increase every year, then you will be looking at tuition of 52k, 53.5k, 55.5k, and 56.k for the four years, respectively. This averages out to be 54500 a year. Add another 4k a year in loan fees, books, supplies, and boards fees. This brings the total so far to 243k.

The op also mentioned that they had an undergrad debt of 75k. Therefore this leaves the op only 111k for the 4 years of living expenses, not 200.
Thank you kind sir. As you can see, I didn't major in mathematics.

If you don't mind me asking, approx how much did you take out?

You recently graduated and I would think your loans would be in the same territory.

Nothing. My parents paid for school. I'm lucky, I know.

I usually just go with "craptons" and try not to over think it.

Right around 300k not including interest (that's with 25k from undergrad). Plus my husband has about 75k in student loans.

Either you are not planning on taking out the max loans or you didn't include the 50-60k of interests you will be accruing while in school.

I will be your classmate and I also have some debt from undergrad (58k). I calculated that I will have about 470k in debt by the end of the 4 years. Insanity.

Interest was not included in my estimate, so I will be around where you anticipate.

At the end of medical school...excel tells me I will owe $241,000 and change. This is including compounding interest from undergrad and the first 3.5 years of medical school. Thank goodness my spouse will work and I can use my residency paycheck to pay back a significant portion over 4-5 years. After that....hello signing bonuses? Hopefully.

I think I'll have 340-360k

250k-ish if my wife and I can live off of her teacher's salary, which we're going to attempt.

4 years (minimum) of combat boots

OP, I'll make you feel better, if I don't get a scholarship anywhere I'm looking at around 600k (perhaps 120k less if I end up being able to work during school) due to prior pharmacy school loans. Banking on some sort of loan forgiveness.

OP, I'll make you feel better, if I don't get a scholarship anywhere I'm looking at around 600k (perhaps 120k less if I end up being able to work during school) due to prior pharmacy school loans. Banking on some sort of loan forgiveness.
I feel awful for pharmacy students. the job market is horrible and those that do find work in retail are miserable

Hopefully ~160k. My wife and I paid off 30k of UG debt in about a year during our two gap years (go dave ramsey!) if we can live off her teachers salary, it's just tuition for us....being married and having another income is a huge financial boost

When I'm all done with residency, I'll be roughly 410k in debt by my calculations. That's only a 17.63 inch stack of hundred dollar bills separating me from freedom...