How much debt/loans do you have when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much debt/loans do you have when you enter medical school? I don't have any undergraduate debt nor credit cards debt so I'm starting fresh. I paid off my undergraduate loans at the beginning of the summer. I anticipate I'll have around $200,000 to $240,000 in debt when I graduate medical school in 2010. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I have about $25K from undergrad and grad school. But my hubby has $75K!!! :eek: So we already have $100K, and I expect to pull out max loans throughout med school. I'm figuring close to $350K when it's all said and done.

Did I win? :laugh: ;)

Without counting the car, which is for my parents but I make payments on (till I start school), I'm sitting on about 23k for undergrad and postbacc. No credit card issues, although I'm upto 3,000 on charge due to my trip to Korea in a few weeks. But I'll clear that out with the retirement funds when they come out.

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureDocDO said:
How much debt/loans do you have when you enter medical school? I don't have any undergraduate debt nor credit cards debt so I'm starting fresh. I paid off my undergraduate loans at the beginning of the summer. I anticipate I'll have around $200,000 to $240,000 in debt when I graduate medical school in 2010. :scared:

$40,000 from undergrad.

I'll have about the same debt as you when I graduate.

I anticipate being able to pay it all off in about 5 years.

Khenon said:
I have about $25K from undergrad and grad school. But my hubby has $75K!!! :eek: So we already have $100K, and I expect to pull out max loans throughout med school. I'm figuring close to $350K when it's all said and done.

Did I win? :laugh: ;)
Which school are you attending in the Fall that will add $250K more to your debt? j/c And yes you win! .....and the price is... >$50K in interest by the time you pay it off.

BTW, I'm glad to see that we're all in the same huge debt boat. :laugh:

50K from hubby 200K from myself + 120K for house +10K for car, +30K for credit cards. = :eek: 410K Okay, now I want to go shoot myself!!!

VJWDO said:
50K from hubby 200K from myself + 120K for house +10K for car, +30K for credit cards. = :eek: 410K Okay, now I want to go shoot myself!!!

I'm sorry... 30k+ for credit cards?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah, b/w credit cards, and undergrad, we're 100K in the hole before med school.

rgerwin said:
Yeah, b/w credit cards, and undergrad, we're 100K in the hole before med school.

I have yet to use a credit card... :laugh:

$65,000 undergrad, in state med school (TCOM) approx $100,000(including living expenses) + $100,000 to have fun in med school (buy everyone a round a beer :) ) ....so that's about $265,000 + interest...hmmmm not bad

I had 0 coming in. After the first year, Im just 38,500 in the hole + the ****ing interest which is already accruing.

Here's what I couldn't cover and needed help with...

Parents loaned to me (bless their hearts)
$ 736.50 Community College Summer tuition 2004
$ 1,504.00 University Fall tuition 2004
$ 2,545.00 Fall Room and Board 2004
$ 1,099.00 University Spring tuition 2005
$ 2,350.00 Spring Room and Board 2005
$ 2,358.00 University Fall tuition 2005
$ 500.00 Med school Initial Seat Deposit
$ -1,250.00 Graduation Gift (deduction)

$ 9,842.50 TOTAL

Stafford Loan
$ 5,500.00 Spring 2006 tuition / room and board / Carry Over for Moving

$ 5,500.00 TOTAL

######>>>>>>>$ 15,342.50 GRAND TOTAL <<<<<#######

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I really can't stress this enough.

If you have credit card debt, and unless you have some kind of very nice promotional interest rate (0% for balance transfers)... you really should look into something like Prosper (see my blog) for consolidating it.

Most folks who have $20k+ in credit rate debt is paying double-digit interest (if not 20%+), and that's just a huge expense... even before interest rates climb. Get over to Prosper, and there's a chance we'll drop that down to a lower fixed rate. See my blog.

Donvb said:
I have yet to use a credit card... :laugh:

I've never owned a credit card. There is absolutely no reason to have one. You end up paying more in the end if you use one anyway.

OSUdoc08 said:
I've never owned a credit card. There is absolutely no reason to have one. You end up paying more in the end if you use one anyway.

If you use em wisely, you can get free stuff out of them. For my citicard, I never keep a balance (pay stuff off the same day week usually). Anyways, when I got it, they gave away $15.00 to join the credit protection program. Although the credit protection program has fees, you never have to pay a single fee if you don't keep a balance. So basically, I got $15 and have not paid a single dime in interest/fees.

JohnUC33 said:
If you use em wisely, you can get free stuff out of them. For my citicard, I never keep a balance (pay stuff off the same day week usually). Anyways, when I got it, they gave away $15.00 to join the credit protection program. Although the credit protection program has fees, you never have to pay a single fee if you don't keep a balance. So basically, I got $15 and have not paid a single dime in interest/fees.
I love credit cards. :laugh: I pay mine off every month so they're not making a dime off of me. I also have this credit card I use for gas that gives me 5% cash back. You can't beat that!

VJWDO said:
You'll owe around $290K since you'll get that 120K back when you sell your house, if not more. That's not too bad for two people.

OSUdoc08 said:
Carefull here. When I bought my kid groceries with my credit cards, I was thinking that was a pretty damned good reason to use one. We don't all have ideal situations, and sometimes life happens. Credit card useage doesn't automatically mean you're stupid, irresponsible, and clueless. Sometimes it can mean you need to feed your kid.

And before the flaming starts . . . I was employed, I wasn't receiving child support or welfare, and I was using my income to pay my rent and utilities. So yes, I was in a situation (temporarily) where I HAD to use my credit to purchase groceries and sometimes gas for my car. Again . . . life happens. And while I'm not happy to have any credit card debt, I am happy to say my son has never gone a day in his life hungry.

I got my first credit card when I graduated from high school. I've had them even since and don't carry a balance. The big plus is that I have a well-established credit history and have had one for years. IMO, it's fool-hardy not to have a credit card.

Khenon said:
Carefull here. When I bought my kid groceries with my credit cards, I was thinking that was a pretty damned good reason to use one. We don't all have ideal situations, and sometimes life happens. Credit card useage doesn't automatically mean you're stupid, irresponsible, and clueless. Sometimes it can mean you need to feed your kid.

And before the flaming starts . . . I was employed, I wasn't receiving child support or welfare, and I was using my income to pay my rent and utilities. So yes, I was in a situation (temporarily) where I HAD to use my credit to purchase groceries and sometimes gas for my car. Again . . . life happens. And while I'm not happy to have any credit card debt, I am happy to say my son has never gone a day in his life hungry.

If I run out of money, I ask for my parents to help me out, instead of using a credit card.

exlawgrrl said:
I got my first credit card when I graduated from high school. I've had them even since and don't carry a balance. The big plus is that I have a well-established credit history and have had one for years. IMO, it's fool-hardy not to have a credit card.

There is no need to have an "established credit history" if you are a newly graduated physician with loans. Paying back the loans on time will be credit enough. You can pretty much get anything you want with no credit if you are a physician anyway.

OSUdoc08 said:
If I run out of money, I ask for my parents to help me out, instead of using a credit card.
That must be a nice option for you. ;)

Khenon said:
That must be a nice option for you. ;)

Stafford + Perkins + CAL (Texas only) + PLUS + Family = no need for a credit card

I find it hilarious when people try to pay off their bills with credit cards.

A new lexus (paid off), no undergrad debt, no credit card debt. (o.k. I think there is $400) and should have 80k saved before school starts. Just a disclaimer...my mom is a cop and my dad is a maintenance worker. I just worked my tail off during the summers.

OSUdoc08 said:
Stafford + Perkins + CAL (Texas only) + PLUS + Family = no need for a credit card

Well once again you show complete lack of understanding for Life. Not everyone can run to mommy and daddy for $$ when you blow all your money in the bar.

Credit cards are a wonderful thing IF used wisely. Many people are fortunate enough to be able to use em and pay off every month. I do. Those that need to carry a balance may do so out of neccesity such as paying for food for your child in the other post, you do what you've got to do. Further, I get frequent flyer miles off my card. I have gotten several thousand dollars of free plane tickets over the years. I use my cc to buy everything I can, gas, food, bills etc. I would have to write a check or use cash on those anyway, why not write just one check and get, like I said, free tickets.

FURTHER, your comment about credit history also shows your lack of understanding on how the system works. Credit cards help build a history, the better your credit history the cheaper your interest rate on borrowing will be. Granted many banks lend docs a lot of money, BUT they will still rake you over the coals since you have no credit history, ie high interest rate.

Banks dont want to lend cheaply to someone that has not demonstrated during his first 28 yrs, (estimating your graduation age) any ability to control or manage their spending wisely. Your lack of consumer debt is good, but it doesn't prove to banks that you'll actually make loan payments. True paying off your student loans back will help build a credit history assuming you are proficient in paying them off, but you do need something built up before hand.

To summarily declare that anyone that has a c/c is stupid just shows your lack of maturity and understanding how the financial system and credit history really works. So why dont you stick with stuff you do understand, like 2nd year med school.

OSUdoc08 said:

False. Some people use credit cards to build credit.

I put everything on my credit card and pay it off the same month. Which means it doesnt cost me any more to use than it costs you to use cash and I get the airline miles.....which do add up to something.

OSUdoc08 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

So thats how you plan on paying off your med school loans in five years.

Running to mommy and daddy? I find it hilarious when mid-20 year olds depend on their parents.

OSUdoc08 said:
$40,000 from undergrad.

I'll have about the same debt as you when I graduate.

I anticipate being able to pay it all off in about 5 years.

Yeah, this is what I want to know how you are going to do.

Buckeye(OH) said:

OSU is going to be in EM, it should be feasible given current salaries in his region if he does not go out and blow $$ in the bar like he does now

goinverted said:
A new lexus (paid off), no undergrad debt, no credit card debt. (o.k. I think there is $400) and should have 80k saved before school starts. Just a disclaimer...my mom is a cop and my dad is a maintenance worker. I just worked my tail off during the summers.
You seem to be implying you're the typical case, ie: 4 year undergrad, just out of school. I don't know otherwise.. but is that really the case?

But let's do the math here. Assume $15k/yr during undergrad thanks to public school (tuition + living expenses), assume mid-line Lexus at $40k, + $80k saved... in other words $180k of after-tax money. Before taxes, that's probably around $240k. You said you worked your tail off during the summers. Let's say that's 2 months a year, times 4 years... or 8 months of work.

I personally would love to know how hard you had to work your tail to make $240k over 8 months. Or, alternatively, give us the real story behind your financial situation.

Buckeye(OH) said:
False. Some people use credit cards to build credit.

I put everything on my credit card and pay it off the same month. Which means it doesnt cost me any more to use than it costs you to use cash and I get the airline miles.....which do add up to something.

One again, you do not need to build credit as a medical student. See my above post for the rationale.

OSUdoc08 said:

Wow... must be nice to have a well-off family to support you.

Unfortunetly, for the rest of us who don't have a family bank to rely on, there is no other way... I make 36k a year, I'm paying back loans from college, bills, etc... and at the end of the month, I have about 200 bucks left for saving.

So, if I'm in the need to pay for applications, travel expenses for interviews, deposits... how else will I be able to do it? Go ask mommy and daddy? My parents run a small business in a small town. They can't float me a grand anytime I need it.

Not hating on the well-off people, but you know the phrase... till you walk a mile in the man's shoes. And I'm thinking some of these people have kids and other family stuff to account for, which I don't have nor can I possibly imagine.

And on the other hand... I've read articles on people who have aquired the Amex 'black card'... you know, the one that can literally get anything done. You need to put 100,000k plus on the card each year to qualify. I heard alot of people put everything on the card to reach it so that they have the benefits... and what are the beni's? Tickets to nearly any event, even if it's sold out (granted, you'll pay for it), a consierge service who can arrange sand from the Sahara to be sent to your home for your kid's project (and you pay only for shipping)...

I want one. :love:

Buckeye(OH) said:

Debt = $220,000

Year Salary = $180,000 AFTER taxes & malpractice insurance

$220,000 / 5 = $44,000 payment per year

$180,000 - $44,000 = $136,000 / year salary to keep!

Even if I took a job that makes SIGNIFICANTLY less, I could still live on the $35,000-$40,000 resident salary that I already had been living on for just 5 more years. This is not a very likely scenario, however.

OSUdoc08 said:
One again, you do not need to build credit as a medical student. See my above post for the rationale.

I would agree with you on not needing a credit card in med school if student loans can cover costs of board exams.

Junkster said:
Wow... must be nice to have a well-off family to support you.

Unfortunetly, for the rest of us who don't have a family bank to rely on, there is no other way... I make 36k a year, I'm paying back loans from college, bills, etc... and at the end of the month, I have about 200 bucks left for saving.

So, if I'm in the need to pay for applications, travel expenses for interviews, deposits... how else will I be able to do it? Go ask mommy and daddy? My parents run a small business in a small town. They can't float me a grand anytime I need it.

Not hating on the well-off people, but you know the phrase... till you walk a mile in the man's shoes. And I'm thinking some of these people have kids and other family stuff to account for, which I don't have nor can I possibly imagine.

And on the other hand... I've read articles on people who have aquired the Amex 'black card'... you know, the one that can literally get anything done. You need to put 100,000k plus on the card each year to qualify. I heard alot of people put everything on the card to reach it so that they have the benefits... and what are the beni's? Tickets to nearly any event, even if it's sold out (granted, you'll pay for it), a consierge service who can arrange sand from the Sahara to be sent to your home for your kid's project (and you pay only for shipping)...

I want one. :love:

I'm talking about being a medical student, since this is a medical student forum. Obviously your case does not apply.

Junkster said:
I would agree with you on not needing a credit card in med school if student loans can cover costs of board exams.

Our student budget includes the cost of board exams.

teninepit said:
Well once again you show complete lack of understanding for Life. Not everyone can run to mommy and daddy for $$ when you blow all your money in the bar.

Credit cards are a wonderful thing IF used wisely. Many people are fortunate enough to be able to use em and pay off every month. I do. Those that need to carry a balance may do so out of neccesity such as paying for food for your child in the other post, you do what you've got to do. Further, I get frequent flyer miles off my card. I have gotten several thousand dollars of free plane tickets over the years. I use my cc to buy everything I can, gas, food, bills etc. I would have to write a check or use cash on those anyway, why not write just one check and get, like I said, free tickets.

FURTHER, your comment about credit history also shows your lack of understanding on how the system works. Credit cards help build a history, the better your credit history the cheaper your interest rate on borrowing will be. Granted many banks lend docs a lot of money, BUT they will still rake you over the coals since you have no credit history, ie high interest rate.

Banks dont want to lend cheaply to someone that has not demonstrated during his first 28 yrs, (estimating your graduation age) any ability to control or manage their spending wisely. Your lack of consumer debt is good, but it doesn't prove to banks that you'll actually make loan payments. True paying off your student loans back will help build a credit history assuming you are proficient in paying them off, but you do need something built up before hand.

To summarily declare that anyone that has a c/c is stupid just shows your lack of maturity and understanding how the financial system and credit history really works. So why dont you stick with stuff you do understand, like 2nd year med school.

Why? I still don't see the point. There is still no GOOD reason to have credit card debt in medical school. Loan debt will be enough.

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm talking about being a medical student, since this is a medical student forum. Obviously your case does not apply.

The original question was debt occurred previous to entry into medical school. Then it extended into credit card debt occurred by some before starting medical school...

Not trying to argue. If your point is from your perspective, my point is my perspective. :D

Buckeye(OH) said:
Some people use credit cards to build credit.

Sounds like me. I use my credit cards for everything from food to gas but pay it off every month so I don't get charge for anything. It's a good way to build your credit. I just checked my credit score last week and it's at 827!!! :cool:

Oh, we're talking about only in the context of medical students, during school?

Many folks need more loans above and beyond the education budget authorized by their school's financial aid. You are obviously single and likely right out of school, that solves your issues. If you look at the average age of first year medical students nationally, it's 24. At many DO schools (which is an easier path for non-trad students), it's far higher.

If these folks have kids + wife... do you really think the education budget cover braces? A second car for driving the kids to school? Etc, etc?

OSUdoc08 said:

Hey OSUdoc-

Could you PM info on CAL (Texas only). I'm from Texas and haven't heard about this and would love to know more. Thanks.

teninepit said:

OSUdoc08 said:
Why? I still don't see the point. There is still no GOOD reason to have credit card debt in medical school. Loan debt will be enough.

Geez, can you read? Never mind: rhetorical question. You started off saying how stupid it was to have a credit card. Which I tried to explain, if you actually go back and read my post, having a credit card helps build a credit history. Nobody was even suggesting that c/c debt was good.

You need a credit history to borrow for consumer loans. Say in residency you decide to buy a house. But ooops, you have no credit history. The bank is going to charge you a higher rate of interest than me because you have not proven to be a responsible person in your financial dealings. Banks dont like those risks. Regardless of how much money you will be making in the future, you can still blow it all and have no sense of financial responsiblity. The bank does not know that you're responsible because there's no notable payment record for them to examine.

I also stated it was not a good idea to have c/c debt, however a previous poster stated they had to have c/c debt to put food on the table. Obviously c/c debt is not good but you do what you have to do to feed the family.

Back to your lack of understanding, even if you pay your loans off in a timely manner after residency you will still have a year or two of marginal credit history that will still make banks leary of you. Do yourself a favor, get a c/c, pay it off every month meaning having no c/c debt (just to make sure that is clear) so you will develop a credit history and thus can borrow for a car, house etc at lower interest rates.

teninepit said:
Geez, can you read? Never mind: rhetorical question. You started off saying how stupid it was to have a credit card. Which I tried to explain, if you actually go back and read my post, having a credit card helps build a credit history. Nobody was even suggesting that c/c debt was good.

You need a credit history to borrow for consumer loans. Say in residency you decide to buy a house. But ooops, you have no credit history. The bank is going to charge you a higher rate of interest than me because you have not proven to be a responsible person in your financial dealings. Banks dont like those risks. Regardless of how much money you will be making in the future, you can still blow it all and have no sense of financial responsiblity. The bank does not know that you're responsible because there's no notable payment record for them to examine.

I also stated it was not a good idea to have c/c debt, however a previous poster stated they had to have c/c debt to put food on the table. Obviously c/c debt is not good but you do what you have to do to feed the family.

Back to your lack of understanding, even if you pay your loans off in a timely manner after residency you will still have a year or two of marginal credit history that will still make banks leary of you. Do yourself a favor, get a c/c, pay it off every month meaning having no c/c debt (just to make sure that is clear) so you will develop a credit history and thus can borrow for a car, house etc at lower interest rates.

There are certain banks that have zero down mortgage loans with a locked-in interest rate, regardless of credit, for physicians. If I buy a house shortly after residency, which is HIGHLY unlikely, then I will do this.

As a resident and a physician, a credit card will not be needed for food money.

Obviously people that have families will be in a different situation, but as a single physician with no children, there is no reason to accrue credit card debt. Even if a loan later on is in high interest, it will be paid back quickly on a physician's salary.

OSUdoc08 said:
There are certain banks that have zero down mortgage loans with a locked-in interest rate, regardless of credit, for physicians. If I buy a house shortly after residency, which is HIGHLY unlikely, then I will do this.

As a resident and a physician, a credit card will not be needed for food money.

Obviously people that have families will be in a different situation, but as a single physician with no children, there is no reason to accrue credit card debt. Even if a loan later on is in high interest, it will be paid back quickly on a physician's salary.

Hello McFly, anyone home? You still miss the point, yes interest rates are locked in. However, your locked in interest rate will be higher than mine for the same value of house since you have no credit history. I am also glad you are clairvoyant and you can tell you wont want to buy something 6 or 7 years from now. That must be a handy skill.

AGAIN AS I ALREADY SAID I MAKE NO MENTION OF TAKING ON CREDIT CARD DEBT, SINGLE OR OTHERWISE. IT IS A BAD IDEA, UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, learn to read a post CAREFULLY instead of jumping to conclusions.

And making the assumption to pay back a loan quickly since your making the BIG Bucks :rolleyes:, (like a house), shows just how little you know about taxes and the benefits of having a house.

teninepit said:
Hello McFly, anyone home? You still miss the point, yes interest rates are locked in. However, your locked in interest rate will be higher than mine for the same value of house since you have no credit history. I am also glad you are clairvoyant and you can tell you wont want to buy something 6 or 7 years from now. That must be a handy skill.

AGAIN AS I ALREADY SAID I MAKE NO MENTION OF TAKING ON CREDIT CARD DEBT, SINGLE OR OTHERWISE. IT IS A BAD IDEA, UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, learn to read a post CAREFULLY instead of jumping to conclusions.

And making the assumption to pay back a loan quickly since your making the BIG Bucks :rolleyes:, (like a house), shows just how little you know about taxes and the benefits of having a house.

The residency director of my top program just paid 1 million cash for his new home.

The benefits of having zero debt outweigh the benefits of accruing interest.

There is no need for personal insults and hostility, as I have not done so with you.

I know that I won't be doing residency in the city I end up in, so I obviously won't be buying a house then.

FutureDocDO said:

For me close to $250,000.

My best friend, who is also a DO student (at CCOM), had $25,000 debt from undergrad, is taking out $40,000/year just for tuition (which is rising 2-3 K per year), and 20 K for living expenses. Without any rich parents or "summer jobs," he is financing everything through loans. He recently spoke to the financial aid at CCOM and was angered to find that by the time he was finished with school and residency, his loans would be between $400,000 and $450,000. I think it is easier to get the loans that high than people think...4 years times 40 K = 160 K...which gains interest for 7-10 years while you are in school and residency...add in a modest undergrad debt and modest living expenses...and voila....almost half a million dollars.

By the way, what kind of job would pay that much during "summers?" That musta been one helluva good job (or illegal).

the1doc said:
By the way, what kind of job would pay that much during "summers?" That musta been one helluva good job (or illegal).
I was wondering about that as well. It is hard as is to find an employer that will hire me for the summer without lying that I'll stay for at least a year. To find a well paying job for just the summer?... it's legally impossible.

FutureDocDO said:
I was wondering about that as well. It is hard as is to find an employer that will hire me for the summer without lying that I'll stay for at least a year. To find a well paying job for just the summer?... it's legally impossible.

I worked for a summer camp. I actually had 2 jobs. I was in charge of the infirmary, and provided care for the entire camp staff and campers. I also was the activities coordinator for daily activities, and had to help fill-in for some of the counselors and lifeguards on their days off.

I would highly recommend doing something like this outside, since the rest of your summers will be spend under the fluorescent lights.

Abbott labs has a great summer internship, if you can get in. Good pay, free housing and transportation. I did it twice.