How much debt will you have before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much debt will you have before medical school?

• $0

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • $1 - 10000

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • $10001 - 30000

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • $30001 - 50000

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • $50001 - 70000

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • $70001 - 90000

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • $90001 - 100000

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • $100001 - 150000

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • $150001 - 200000

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • $200001 +

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Dr McSexy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As title states, how much debt will you have before entering medical school? This would include undergraduate education, post-bacc programs, master's, career changers' previous educational debt, and anything else I can't think of.

Poll added.

Personally, I should have around 13k in debt when I finish undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should be around 74,000 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
$0.00 Gotta love scholarships and working your way through school.

Nothing. I pay tuition out of my normal monthly income. I'm hoping to be able to pay for medical school out of normal monthly income as well, depending on the school and tuition rates.

None. Due to how my scholarships are done, I'll actually end up having been paid ~$20k to go to college.

Nothing. I pay tuition out of my normal monthly income. I'm hoping to be able to pay for medical school out of normal monthly income as well, depending on the school and tuition rates.

What do you do that is going to let you make enough to pay for med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes a lot more sense now when med students, residents, and attendings come here to talk about debt and how pre-meds should be aware of it and all of us are deemed crazy, money-hungry people, while the altruistic pre-meds prevail.

We are just wasting our breaths, as obviously, more then half of the pre-meds on here have 0 debt and probably could care less.

I wish all of you continued debt-free education through medical school and residency as the rest of your lives will be a lot easier!! :)

I have about $400 left in student loans, which will be paid off in my next paycheck. Then I have about $600 on my credit card to tackle, and I'm debt free. From there, I'll be saving my paychecks to buy furniture for when I move.

I worked to get lots of scholarships for undergrad, and my mom picked up the minimal couple thousand dollars that were left over.

I escaped undergrad without any student loan debt but have about 24K from graduate school. Managed to pay for my postbac classes with part of my current salary.

$0 for undergrad and ~$30K for grad.....

yikes . . . lucky all you with $0

i had a scholarship but not a full one so i made it out of undergrad around 20k in debt. unfortunately my masters program at a private college cost me more than twice that, and in half the time :( my parents live out in the middle of nowhere so i have been renting for the past 8 years. that stuff adds up. sigh.

$0 if I decide to be a residential adviser for a year.

Otherwise, ~$9k.

I go to an Ivy school --> great financial aid.

$60,000

But that includes graduate and undergraduate. I did get scholarships and I worked during school but it still ended up being that high. It's mainly because the only financial aid I qualified for is student loans.

0 because I went to my far from top school (even though I was accepted) simply due to the money they threw at me in anticipation of racking up the debt in med school.

I chose to go to my in state public university because they offered me a tuition waver. I lived at home so I didn't have to worry about rent, utilities, or food. At the time I didn't think going to a fancy big named private school was worth the debt and I'm glad I didn't choose to go that route.

who on earth has 200,000 in debt before medical school?

I was lucky enough to attend an inexpensive state university, and got scholarships on top of that to pay for most of it. The remainder I can pay with savings/paycheck.

To everyone who paid so much to attend an expensive undergrad, for whatever reason, was it worth it?

I'll have around 80k in debt, but only 26k or so in loans. The rest I owe my parents. However, I'll probably decrease this amount by working part-time as a intern and later as a pharmacist.

My undergrad was free because I had a full scholarship.

0. Med school will be plenty expensive on its own, it doesn't need help from me.