Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How much detail do you use in describing your activities on AMCAS?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Tofurkey, May 7, 2004.

1. Tofurkey

Tofurkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,

Can anyone give me an example of an activity they're putting down with the right level of description?

For instance, for a free clinic, would this be adequate or should I put down more:

X free clinic--shadowed doctors and nurses, helped update patient charts, 3 hours per week; January-present.

Just wondering if I have the right level of detail on this. Also, if you're still doing an activity, and plan on keeping on doing it, how do you state this?

Thanks,

T

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I gave as much detail as I could fit in the little box. There usually wasn't enough room for my major activities- for those I started with the important stuff and worked my way out. For the less intense things, it was easy... I just wrote about 2-3 sentences off the top of my head.

4. Oh I missed that last question- I tried to type in "present" but I seem to recall that not working. So, I put the estimated date I would finish the activity and only one interviewer was annoyed by that, but I just explained that it was my best guess at the time for when I would finish the activity/job.

5. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

i put like 1-2 sentence job description and then if i could i would add like a sentence stating an outcome or what i learned from it (e.g.. for teaching a class...80% of students improved at least one letter grade. or for research....presented two abstracts at so and so.).

yea, just put your best estimate....expected date you will finish, estimate of hours/wk. but dont overshoot cause its better to say less than more...less worrying in case you were wrong. just make sure it makes sense as far as timing...remember only 24 hrs/day.

6. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

here is something i put at the end/outcome of one of my clinic experiences...you can add something like this to what you showed us:

Learned how to develop relationships, interact, and communicate with patients. Had exposure to largely indigent and minority patient base and gained awareness of such diversity. Acquired insight into the reality of medicine and daily physician activities.

7. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

Remember not to say too much in the discriptions otherwise you won't have anything left to talk about at interviews ;)

8. curlycity

curlycity Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I did something similar. I figured, why not be myself. So I put what I did, and then a short note listing what I learned from/loved about each item. There was still plenty to talk about in the interview - also, some people don't read your app before the interview. I *think* it sounded cool that way. More personal than a dry reading of dates and activities - told them what I got out of it, what my purpose was in choosing it, etc.

9. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    its like filling out a resume. you put down what you did, what skills you used and gained etc...

10. Be professional. Don't be like I improved my communication skills...
    Describe what you did - improvement/enhancement of your skills should be a reflection of your description and not otherwise if you know what I mean