Medical How much detail to give when talking about health problem induced poor grades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a rough sophomore year because of poor epilepsy control. I'm doing a lot better now and my grades reflect that. :)

I have heard on the forums that one ought not to disclose mental health on the application (or at least that it's very risky), I wanted to know if the same advice applied to neurological health concerns. Is it better not to give details just to be safe? I don't think people will think I am dumb because I have a neurological thing. Because there is such a stigma against mental health issues in medical school admissions, I also don't want my being vague to make ADCOMs think that I am hiding a mental health concern because those are so common, especially among the under-30 crowd. But, I could see it going the other way too and ADCOMS thinking "Poor epilepsy control= got bad grades = not a good enough excuse" and it has to be something horrible like cancer or a serious accident. Does that make sense?
I think it would be good to speak about. This is something you worked through and was hard on you. Regardless if it’s used to explain your bad grades or not, working through hardships and doing well is always looked good upon.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, as another Epileptic who had a similar issue, I encourage you to talk about it. I don't think it will be looked down upon as those looking at your application will understand that neurological issue=/=mental health problems.
Thank you so much. *appreciative hug* That meant a lot to me that you would you share this with me. :) And thank you for the advice/help. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.