How much did/will your undergrad cost you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daphne13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a lot of threads about how expensive the application process and how expensive dental schools are, I'm wondering how much did/will your undergrad cost you? (Tuition and housing fees)

Members don't see this ad.

I had a fairly large scholarship to a small private college. I wound up with $40,000 in federal loans to cover both my BSc and my MA.

Around 9,000 in loans from a no name state school. A lot of the tuition was covered by federal grants and I commuted from home. I got into my top choice and my state dental school. Overall, I'm glad that I didn't go to an out-of-state, private, or more expensive state university.

Members don't see this ad :)
They paid me $1,000 a year to attend. LOL

I put it towards books though. I got a presidential scholarship and the regents scholarship (for averaging 97+ on all my regents exams).

If I didn't get a scholarship, I would have attended a state school, like Queens college. Private schools are way too costly. My tuition is over $30,000 a year sans a scholarship. That is insane, especially since now loans accrue interest even when your still in school and cannot pay them back.

I plan to specialize, so I will not make any money for about 7 years.

I didn' pay anything, just housing. I have less loans in with 3 degrees than most with 1 degree only.

it cost me nothing..I had a fullride (50% athletic, 50% academic)

..and then I got refund checks so, I was paid to get my B.A :cool:

9k-- got basically a full (need-based) ride from an ivy

I went to a large university and then transferred to a smaller one. Though I got the top scholarship for transfer students to the smaller private school, it wasn't a full ride. Altogether, my schooling will cost about 32,000; my parents are paying for this, though. I wish I had decided to go to a small school first. I'll be paying for dental school, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
They paid me $1,000 a year to attend. LOL

I put it towards books though. I got a presidential scholarship and the regents scholarship (for averaging 97+ on all my regents exams).

If I didn't get a scholarship, I would have attended a state school, like Queens college. Private schools are way too costly. My tuition is over $30,000 a year sans a scholarship. That is insane, especially since now loans accrue interest even when your still in school and cannot pay them back.

I plan to specialize, so I will not make any money for about 7 years.

Mind if I ask where you went to school? Just curious as a fellow New Yorker. :p

$10,000 a year for the courses itself; parents' money.

I went to an expensive private college for free because my mother works there. I had 2,000 in loans from housing but paid that off last year. I worked a weekend job that covered books and activity fees. I will be paying for dental school (state school) through loans though and have little in the bank. eek.

Somehow mine ended up costing about 3x what should have been paid. Actually there's no somehow in that lol. Live below your means and embrace "living like a college student." If you don't live like one now you will when you get out.

Many of the respondents here are happy with how little they paid, so to balance them out: 40k/year just for the tuition. Ivy, and I wasn't considered "needy". There were no merit scholarships, "because everyone here would merit".

Was it worth it? Hard to say, I only went to 1 college, I have nothing to compare it to. Did it open all the doors in the world? Hardly. Do I feel "enriched" by the experience. Yes and no.

40K a year for undergrad seems insane to me. But I am from Canada lol

Many of the respondents here are happy with how little they paid, so to balance them out: 40k/year just for the tuition. Ivy, and I wasn't considered "needy". There were no merit scholarships, "because everyone here would merit".

Was it worth it? Hard to say, I only went to 1 college, I have nothing to compare it to. Did it open all the doors in the world? Hardly. Do I feel "enriched" by the experience. Yes and no.
Going to private schools pricey...I am in the same boat, but even worse I guess. 140k for me :( because anyone who's family makes 100k a year can afford 40k a year tuition right?

Go to a cheaper school then? Did you think you were gonna get a waiver for that kind of tuition? Thank the lawd, I'm a sophomore with 0 loans because my school is only 8k and parents are paying.

Did you think you were gonna get a waiver for that kind of tuition? Um, no.

Wakaaa, don't be snippy. A question was asked regarding tuition cost and I answered from my experience. Isittoolate answered from his/hers. We are sharing our situation, which includes some dissatisfaction, even if it results from choices made of our own free will.

Don't gloat.

Going to private schools pricey...I am in the same boat, but even worse I guess. 140k for me :( because anyone who's family makes 100k a year can afford 40k a year tuition right?

im also in a pricey private school. Mr parents pay about 20k a year so in four years, 80k. Dam.:mad:

max 30k, which includes the fact that I'm a post-bach and took 2.5yrs worth of fulltime sciences.

Ughh I have my first loan payment due in a couple of days. I'll accrue tons of interest if I defer now since I'm not enrolled in any classes. I wonder when they will recognize dental school...not until it starts?

I didn't pay anything for undergrad education, except for living costs. 8)

I totally know how you feel, and I hate how some schools (like mine) make this assumption! My parents are immigrants too, so we have extended family overseas that we're supporting. Tuition at my school is now a little over 43k per year, and my sister and I both attended, so the cost was insane. We got some aid when we were there together, but at a minimum paid the full cost of tuition + room and board, etc. for all 4 years :eek: . I can't hate too much tho, because the fact that I went to the school was mentioned favorably by 4 of my interviewers :D ... If I get rich someday I'm setting up a scholarship fund for middle class kids :)

Under 15k. Thanks to school financial aid

25K. I spent 3 years at a cc and 3 years at a state university. I figured for six years of undergrad 25k isn't to bad, with no help from my parents.