How much did you spend on your SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering, those of you who got into an SMP program and are either on the road to completing it, or have already completed it, how much did you end up spending in terms of tuition, books room and board and living expenses combined. Also don't forget to mention which SMP you completed.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't you just find that information on each school's website?

Yeah you probably can, but including room and board, living expenses the cost of books and everthing, the tuition cost posted on the website doesn't exactly give you a good idea of how much damage you get into when enrolled in an SMP program. I think also some SMPs with high tuition may actually be cheaper than low tuition SMPs based on the location of the SMP itself. The cost of living in say near Georgetown maybe more expensive than say Ohio,(I don't know, I could be wrong.) Also there maybe additional expenses if you need to commute for home to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Just wondering, those of you who got into an SMP program and are either on the road to completing it, or have already completed it, how much did you end up spending in terms of tuition, books room and board and living expenses combined. Also don't forget to mention which SMP you completed.

SMPs will generally set you back a pretty 50-60 grand a year.

Yup - but the OP is lazy, and proved that in their response to you.
SMPs will generally set you back a pretty 50-60 grand a year.
+1

Upto $70k at places like Georgetown due to expenses, or so I'm told.

Tuition generally starts at like $30k and then you adjust expenses from there.

+1

No offence robflanker, but you in a way just kind of contradicted yourself. You tell me to go look up their website and find the cost. Then you say the cost can go upto $70K at places like Georgetown. It was this kind of answer I was looking for. This is the kind of information I was asking if you try and read my original post. I know the tuition cost at most SMP programs can be found by looking at the program website. The main point of my question was what would the net total be if living expenses were also considered. Some expensive SMP programs that may have high tuition may end up being cheaper than other programs due to a lower cost of living, which is something that cannot be found at the program website. robflanker I hope that next time you try to read the posts made my your fellow sdner better, rather than hastily jumping to stupid conclusions like saying the OP is lazy.

Last edited:
Whatever you calculate for living expenses, increase it by 20%. 30% if you stress eat.

No offence robflanker, but you in a way just kind of contradicted yourself. You tell me to go look up their website and find the cost. Then you say the cost can go upto $70K at places like Georgetown. It was this kind of answer I was looking for. This is the kind of information I was asking if you try and read my original post. I know the tuition cost at most SMP programs can be found by looking at the program website. The main point of my question was what would the net total be if living expenses were also considered. Some expensive SMP programs that may have high tuition may end up being cheaper than other programs due to a lower cost of living, which is something that cannot be found at the program website. robflanker I hope that next time you try to read the posts made my your fellow sdner better, rather than hastily jumping to stupid conclusions like saying the OP is lazy.

You can find tuition by looking at the websites, then you add in your living expenses. Some people can spend a couple grand every month while others can scrape by on a couple hundred. Rent is probably $500-1000 a month depending on area.

We've already given you a good ballpark for how much you can expect to spend during the year.

+1

Wow that's just crazy. I know of people who went to that program and still never got into med school (specifically one older individual who had an outstanding MCAT but a gpa from his early 20s that haunted him despite being in his 30s)

Your threads and posts get more annoying by the minute.

The $70k number could have been obtained from the countless Georgetown threads we have going. As can most estimates of costs for the various SMPs - i.e. you are lazy and didn't look them up yourself.

Also, some programs even give you can estimate of expenses because of financial aid - Rutgers (the artist formerly known as UMDNJ) gives you a line by line estimation thats accurate within a couple of thousand.

So quit your whining, get off your ass, and do your own HW. Then ask Qs.

Wow that's just crazy. I know of people who went to that program and still never got into med school (specifically one older individual who had an outstanding MCAT but a gpa from his early 20s that haunted him despite being in his 30s)

How low was his GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prob a killer MCAT and a willingness to drop $30k+

Never underestimate how all of these programs are interested in $$$
Yes, my mentor whose an adcom member detests SMPs for that reason.

That is so discouraging.

Yes, my mentor whose an adcom member detests SMPs for that reason.

That is so discouraging.
Its the same with med school apps - it used to be you only got a secondary if there was some legit interest from the program.

Now its auto-offer a secondary - cos its another guaranteed $70-120 per secondary application. So why be choosey when you can just take the $$$ and then let the computer filter out all the ones u were never interested in anyways.

This is a for-profit business. Never forget that.

A lot of different SMPs will have a cost of attendance PDF or handy table somewhere on their site. If not, it is fairly easy to suss out which ones are more expensive than others if you do a little research.

The cost of living is generally higher (rent+utilities+food+gas/public transportation) in cities/coastal areas. Go to craigslist and look at rents in that particular area.

I'll do a sample one: let's look at Tufts, located in Medford, MA, close to Boston.

http://prod-publichealth.tusm-oit.o...ucation/Page/Cost-of-Attendance-MBS-2013-2014

Looks like $65,180+$5,874 for the first year & summer first year. (Tuition of $39,862), and another fee for the second year with the thesis continuation fee (under $1K and you'll have to pay rent/get around still).

Let's look at Georgetown, located in Washington, D.C.

http://finaid.georgetown.edu/cost-of-attendance/SMP/

Looks like $73,900 for the year (Tuition & mandatory fees are $49,458).

Okay, those are in large cities/expensive areas. Let's look at a smaller city/less expensive area.

Let's look at Eastern Virginia Medical School, located in Norfolk, VA.

Looks like $59,701 for IS and $62,625 for OOS, tuition/fees are $38,006 and $40,812, respectively.

Yeah, thats disheartening. Good thing he never posted on SDN or he would've been ripped a new one.

Yeah, he probably would have abandoned the idea of becoming a doctor if he got a reply from people like MDforMee.

A lot of different SMPs will have a cost of attendance PDF or handy table somewhere on their site. If not, it is fairly easy to suss out which ones are more expensive than others if you do a little research.

The cost of living is generally higher (rent+utilities+food+gas/public transportation) in cities/coastal areas. Go to craigslist and look at rents in that particular area.

I'll do a sample one: let's look at Tufts, located in Medford, MA, close to Boston.

http://prod-publichealth.tusm-oit.o...ucation/Page/Cost-of-Attendance-MBS-2013-2014

Looks like $65,180+$5,874 for the first year & summer first year. (Tuition of $39,862), and another fee for the second year with the thesis continuation fee (under $1K and you'll have to pay rent/get around still).

Let's look at Georgetown, located in Washington, D.C.

http://finaid.georgetown.edu/cost-of-attendance/SMP/

Looks like $73,900 for the year (Tuition & mandatory fees are $49,458).

Okay, those are in large cities/expensive areas. Let's look at a smaller city/less expensive area.

Let's look at Eastern Virginia Medical School, located in Norfolk, VA.

Looks like $59,701 for IS and $62,625 for OOS, tuition/fees are $38,006 and $40,812, respectively.

Thanks a lot akinetopsia, this post was exactly what I was looking for. Provides great info. I am sure a lot of other people besides me will benefit from the time you spent writing the post. Greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks a lot akinetopsia, this post was exactly what I was looking for. Provides great info. I am sure a lot of other people besides me will benefit from the time you spent writing the post. Greatly appreciated. :)

Isn't it funny that akinetopsia got his information from the very source that both cometstarg and robflanker told you to check?

The only thing that this thread is testament to is your laziness.

Yeah, thats disheartening. Good thing he never posted on SDN or he would've been ripped a new one.

Yeah, he probably would have abandoned the idea of becoming a doctor if he got a reply from people like MDforMee.
Either you guys are missing something or I am.

Dreamstoo said that his/her friend did not get into medical school.... sooo the friend should have been ripped a new one if they thought could just do an SMP to overcome a sub-2.0 GPA. And the friend isnt in medical school in the US and so isn't a doctor. And i dont care if they went abroad, that doesn't count as medical school. you'll find any Carib/Australian/Israeli med school will to take your $200k happily

An SMP can help people in the 2.95-3.45 range.... below that not really, and above that too high risk.

I believe he had well over a 35 on the MCAT

35 on the MCAT against a way-below-3.0 GPA says the student would fail out of med school before getting to Step 1. A 1 year SMP is not a valid counterexample to 4+ years of slackage.

35 on the MCAT against a way-below-3.0 GPA says the student would fail out of med school before getting to Step 1. A 1 year SMP is not a valid counterexample to 4+ years of slackage.

Hear, hear.

It bothers me when people assume that they'll be favored for an allopathic acceptance via an SMP/MCAT after slacking throughout their undergraduate career. IMO that's not what SMPs are for.