How much do academic jobs in radiology pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Towelie

Resident Towel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know this? I'm a pre-med, and am curious.

Members don't see this ad.

How much do MBA graduates make ?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, the San Francisco Chronicle published the salary of all UC employees earning more than $200,000. Most of the radiologists were in the 200-250k range. Though plenty of people were not found on this list (suggesting they make less than 200,000).

Ok, let me give you a more concrete answer:

Between 95k and 450k.

I got it. Wasn't funny. I was looking for an average, or maybe some info about starting salary or anything else. Anything concrete.

As I said, between 95k and 450k.

Most academic jobs are somewhere between 180k and 250k. Different from PP, you income is often not dependent on your productivity but rather the academic rank you have within the respective university. It also depends on whether you hold a tenure track position (with protected research and teaching time) or whethery ou have a clinical track position (less protected time, more money). The big name places tend to pay less than the lesser known ones. Simply because people will still take a position there to advance their career, regardless of the poor pay. Also, some of the bigger academic places have a littly pyramid scheme going where a bunch of 'clinical assistant' worker bees slave away to get the workload done that pays for the salaries of the tenured figureheads that don't actually read films but rather travel the country giving talks.

So no, there is no meaningful average or starting salary.

I am only familiar with the northeast/middle atlantic region. The range at the places I interviewed/inquired at was $150K-$280K to start.

Does anyone know this? I'm a pre-med, and am curious.

Do your future patients and colleagues a big favor.

DON'T GO INTO RADIOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Do your future patients and colleagues a big favor.

DON'T GO INTO RADIOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I'm curious about salary? Seriously?

I have a large family to support. Sue me.

Because I'm curious about salary? Seriously?

I have a large family to support. Sue me.

I'm sure your family will appreciate that you will have to take out another loan for medical school. Furthermore, you will have to live frugally for the next NINE years (4 years med school + 5 years residency). Plus, there are reimbursement cuts that will limit how much radiologists make by the time you finish in 10 years.

Go into something you are interested in for your own sake. If you want money go into real estate, investment banking, or law school.

I hear this all of the time. Radiologists make money blah, blah, blah......

Did you know radiologists get sued frequently and lose? They are in the top 3 of all physicians in terms of litigation. Check out the malpractice insurance for radiologists.

In the end, if you are truly not happy with what you are doing, you will make many mistakes as a radiologist. This means you will miss many diagnoses and patient care will suffer. Plus, you will make the lawyers in your town a lot of money. You have to completely focused as a radiologist, it is a very cerebral specialty. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERY SQUARE INCH OF EVERY SINGLE FILM. Furthermore, you will see it as a "job" and will be miserable for the rest of your life.

You have to be truly interested in radiology for you to succeed. This profession requires more life long learning than any other specialty. Ask any practicing radiologist today and they will tell you that they only use 10% of the knowledge gained in their 4 year radiology residency because of new information every year. You will be the same. You have to keep up. If your heart isn't into it you will be a terrible radiologist that will reflect poorly in your radiology group, and the radioogy specialty in general. Plus, you will HATE yourself.

Don't chase money into radiology. If you do, you will be depressed and miserable for the rest of your life.

I'm sure your family will appreciate that you will have to take out another loan for medical school. Furthermore, you will have to live frugally for the next NINE years (4 years med school + 5 years residency). Plus, there are reimbursement cuts that will limit how much radiologists make by the time you finish in 10 years.

Go into something you are interested in for your own sake. If you want money go into real estate, investment banking, or law school.

I hear this all of the time. Radiologists make money blah, blah, blah......

Did you know radiologists get sued frequently and lose? They are in the top 3 of all physicians in terms of litigation. Check out the malpractice insurance for radiologists.

In the end, if you are truly not happy with what you are doing, you will make many mistakes as a radiologist. This means you will miss many diagnoses and patient care will suffer. Plus, you will make the lawyers in your town a lot of money. You have to completely focused as a radiologist, it is a very cerebral specialty. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERY SQUARE INCH OF EVERY SINGLE FILM. Furthermore, you will see it as a "job" and will be miserable for the rest of your life.

You have to be truly interested in radiology for you to succeed. This profession requires more life long learning than any other specialty. Ask any practicing radiologist today and they will tell you that they only use 10% of the knowledge gained in their 4 year radiology residency because of new information every year. You will be the same. You have to keep up. If your heart isn't into it you will be a terrible radiologist that will reflect poorly in your radiology group, and the radioogy specialty in general. Plus, you will HATE yourself.

Don't chase money into radiology. If you do, you will be depressed and miserable for the rest of your life.
Well spoken! much of this can apply to almost all medical specialties.
I do think there are great potential financial rewards to rads but there are as stated many downsides.Entering medicine must be for love of the field if its mostly about money you will end up hating it for sure..I'v seen this many times.

I agree with pretty much everything that you wrote. I would never go into a medical subspecialty solely because of compensation, or even because of lifestyle. I am a pre-med, and as of now (when I have no clue what I'm doing) I find radiology extremely interesting. I was merely curious about the salary of radiologists in academia compared to those in private practice.

You shouldn't be so quick to chastise others for asking about salary. Like it or not, compensation is something that everyone at least considers when entering a subspecialty. With my financial situation (one physically handicapped family member and one mentally handicapped family member under my care, with money for them that will likely run out shortly after I end residency), being in a field like family medicine is not an option. Compensation is something that I have to consider.

You shouldn't be so quick to chastise others for asking about salary. Like it or not, compensation is something that everyone at least considers when entering a subspecialty.

Compensation is not something you should be considering as a premed. In fact, specialty in general is not something you should seriously consider until you've conquered step 1. Just do well and keep your options open. When you interview for PGY programs years from now, they're not going to care whether you became interested in their specialty as a premed or an M3. People here will talk about wanting to do M1/2 research and so forth with a specific field in mind, but the quality and quantity of specialty-based research will be much greater as an M3/4 anyway.

...being in a field like family medicine is not an option. Compensation is something that I have to consider.

Maybe they would have let me into Chicago if I had said this during my interview. If you're only shooting for high-paying specialties, then you run the risk of being unhappy in your career. That would suck after so much training.

These other posters are right on regarding pay. It is too unpredictable, as it is for many specialties let alone predicting the pay ten years from now.