How much do clubs etc help out for getting a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podiatry1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a first year. I am working my ass off and giving my all and even after all of that getting "B's" in most of my classes.

A lot of my class members are parts of clubs and are class representatives and stuff like that, but I am worried that if I devote time to anything other than studying, I will get C's in my classes.

To those in residency... how much did getting involved in a club during the school year help you in getting a residency? I know I am not going to be in the top 15% of my class (even though I do nothing but study).... and really just want to make sure that I can land a 3 year residency program somewhere and have a good career...

Essentially... will I be at disadvantage to others when applying to residencies if I am not involved in clubs? I am just really worried that if I get involved my grades will suffer.

Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters at all, unless you are looking to the elite programs.

Do the best you can in your classes, shine in your externships, your visiting opportunities, in clinic and in interviews and all that makes very little impact.

It didn't matter for me at all. Mostly, they were more interested in my non class/school hobbies than anything else.

I would concentrate on your academics. As a former residency director, I could care less about the "club" status. I knew that most of the students were simply joining clubs in an attempt to pad their application.

If you lead a project, join a club and do something constructive and unique, THEN you will get the attention of most residency directors. But simply joining a club in my opinion means diddly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can play guitar...

...while suturing. :eek:

Don't laugh. When in school, we had a "talent show" and me and a good friend/classmate did a rendition of Red House (I was on guitar, and he played bass). At one of my residency interviews, that's how the director remembered me lol.

Man...I forget sometimes that there's this whole generation of people out there that /aren't/ my age that like good music.

I'm nostalgic for a time I didn't exist in.

Man...I forget sometimes that there's this whole generation of people out there that /aren't/ my age that like good music.

I'm nostalgic for a time I didn't exist in.

Over 4000 songs on my iPod. Besides music gear, it's about the only thing I actually spend any money on.

Over 4000 songs on my iPod. Besides music gear, it's about the only thing I actually spend any money on.

That's what I heard.....soap and toothpaste should be added to that list:smuggrin:

Hi. I am a first year. I am working my ass off and giving my all and even after all of that getting "B's" in most of my classes.

A lot of my class members are parts of clubs and are class representatives and stuff like that, but I am worried that if I devote time to anything other than studying, I will get C's in my classes.

To those in residency... how much did getting involved in a club during the school year help you in getting a residency? I know I am not going to be in the top 15% of my class (even though I do nothing but study).... and really just want to make sure that I can land a 3 year residency program somewhere and have a good career...

Essentially... will I be at disadvantage to others when applying to residencies if I am not involved in clubs? I am just really worried that if I get involved my grades will suffer.

Thanks for any insight.

Do it only if u think u can make a better school experience for your colleagues by holding a club/class position. Otherwise dont bother.

I would concentrate on your academics. As a former residency director, I could care less about the "club" status. I knew that most of the students were simply joining clubs in an attempt to pad their application.

If you lead a project, join a club and do something constructive and unique, THEN you will get the attention of most residency directors. But simply joining a club in my opinion means diddly.

While clubs are nice CV padders, there are much more powerful ways to spendyour time. My first suggestion is get involved with research. Publicationsmakes you stand out more than being the surgery club president both inresidency and practice.

In my opinion, the best way to get residencies to notice you are:

1) Hard work and sincerity during an externship

2) Good grades and the ability to translate book knowledge to the clinicalsetting

While clubs are nice CV padders, there are much more powerful ways to spendyour time. My first suggestion is get involved with research. Publicationsmakes you stand out more than being the surgery club president both inresidency and practice.

In my opinion, the best way to get residencies to notice you are:

1) Hard work and sincerity during an externship

2) Good grades and the ability to translate book knowledge to the clinicalsetting

:thumbup:

I would concentrate on your academics...
I would agree. If you are getting solid grades and knowledge, then clubs can be a fun social thing, a way to network, and a chance to help design neat workshops for your classmates. If you are having trouble getting the grades you want, though, then just study more IMO. Club events are still a nice way to keep focused on the end result and pick up new skills, but if you're ever underprepped for an exam or have reading that's overdue, then be sure to keep your priorities straight.

Having a few more social/service things on your CV is doubtful to help you much on your match day, but low class rank or failing boards is certainly a killer. GL and keep working hard :thumbup:

Feli, what are your feelings on students who publish research articles in podiatry school? Yes I know it is simply a way to distinguish one's self but do residencies, which are really academic, favor students who participated in research over students who didn't?

My feeling is it is a way to separate yourself from a similar applicant.

Just because you publish doesn't mean anything. You can cure cancer but have a 2.0 GPA and are have no clinical or surgical skills, you will still struggle to get a good program.

To those in residency... how much did getting involved in a club during the school year help you in getting a residency?

I'll preface my answer by saying that if your grades are really bad (say, bottom 15-20%), no level of involvement will be of much help and you should use the extra time to work on your academics. That being said, there's no harm in joining clubs to have something to prove you were involved during your 4 years.

The only way you will get a real benefit from a residency standpoint is if you are involved in ACFAS or some other club where you can actually go to conferences and meet a lot of the residency directors personally. If you're a board member of the student clubs and have that luxury to travel it's a great opportunity to make good connections.

I went to the big ACFAS conference the last two years and made a point to introduce myself to the residency directors from the areas I was applying to. I saw a lot of them in Texas when I was interviewing and it definitely was an advantage.

Last edited:
The only way you will get a real benefit from a residency standpoint is if you are involved in ACFAS or some other club where you can actually go to conferences and meet a lot of the residency directors personally. If you're a board member of the student clubs and have that luxury to travel it's a great opportunity to make good connections.

I went to the big ACFAS conference the last two years and made a point to introduce myself to the residency directors from the areas I was applying to. I saw a lot of them in Texas when I was interviewing and it definitely was an advantage.

:thumbup::thumbup: