How much do hospitals talk with one another for residency apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabooya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After I submitted my apps to one advanced specialty, I realized that it was not for me and that I want to do IM instead. I still plan on applying to both, but with IM as my ideal specialty. My question is, how much do satellite campuses know about where I applied? For example, if i applied to that advanced specialty in Hofstra Northwell in New Hyde Park, but also applied to categorical IM in Hofstra Northwell in Staten Island, would they both programs see that I applied to 2 specialties and thus not be interested in me because I applied to 2 specialties "in the same institution?" I know it's not recommended to apply to 2 different specialties in the same exact hospital, but was wondering if this applies "satellite hospitals" as well.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

They prolly don't. I mean no one cares that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright. Thanks everyone. I'm just paranoid that I may be screwing myself over if these hospitals can see what I applied for in their satellite hospitals.

Thanks. Another question.
I already applied to prelim IM programs, but later changed my mind and want to do categorical IM in those same hospitals. I tried to withdraw my prelim apps and apply categorical, but when I do so, both prelim and categorical show up (since I already "applied" to the prelim spot). Should I email all the programs and tell them that I only want to be considered for their categorical spots? How bad does that look on my end?

I would not waste time telling programs about preliminary versus catergorical. That e-mail will probably look more awkward and destroy your chances much more than showing up for the interview and telling the program coordinator/director in person rather than an e-mail. Most programs will be glad to have an applicant who is interested in categorical medicine . If they don't have a spot they will tell you.
I doubt that even if you applied to many hospitals both for general surgery and IM most programs will not find out hospitals will not find out you applied to 2 different specialities. Programs get a lot of applicants and usually they just don't coordinate close enough to know an applicant has applied to two specialities.

Reactions: 1 user