Quantcast

How much do I consider the current residents when applying to residency

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KP2AZ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I'm auditioning at a program right now and I'm try to figure out how much i should care about the attitudes/personalities of the current residents. If 6/10 that I've worked with are cynical black cloud personalities that aren't the friendliest bunch, how do I feel about this? Do I take it as the status quo for what the people go through here are like/turns them into, or as a variable that shouldn't be weighed too heavily.

Roxas

Giggity!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I'm auditioning at a program right now and I'm try to figure out how much i should care about the attitudes/personalities of the current residents. If 6/10 that I've worked with are cynical black cloud personalities that aren't the friendliest bunch, how do I feel about this? Do I take it as the status quo for what the people go through here are like/turns them into, or as a variable that shouldn't be weighed too heavily.
I feel like it depends on the specialty. Surg? Maybe not as big of a deal. Peds or FM? I'd be a little more worried

Reactions: 1 user

KP2AZ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like it depends on the specialty. Surg? Maybe not as big of a deal. Peds or FM? I'd be a little more worried

It's Peds. Which should be the least negative-nancy of the bunch, right?

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone who is in peds, if most of the people are negative, I would take that as either a big reflection of the program or complete personality differences between you and them. I think you should weigh it pretty heavily.

Residency is what you put into it and I see people argue between academic and community, large vs small, busy vs slow, etc programs all the time. All programs will train you to do what you need very adequately and if you put a lot in, you will be an excellent physician (at least in peds generally). So not liking the people you work with or going to a named program where everyone is unhappy just isn’t worth it. Unless it is a huge academic name and you specifically want an academic job.

Reactions: 4 users

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would take it seriously. I say this for 2 reasons:

1. It could be a reflection of the program. Don't get me wrong, residency isn't great, but the majority of people shouldn't be constantly miserable. It could reflect poor policies, bad hours, the culture of the program/faculty, or a disregard for resident wellness.

2. Even if it isn't #1, you still have to work very closely with these people. Very, very closely, for long periods of time. You need to be able to get along with them. It could just be that those people had those personalities going in. Even so, you're still going to have to deal with them all the time, and when you're tired, overworked, and struggling to get by, that can mean the difference between tolerating going in everyday and hating it. Also, programs that have a lot of people with one personality tend to attract people with similar personalities, so it's very possible that your cohort will consist of people with those personalities as well.

Reactions: 3 users

AMEHigh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's 100% important and I would not consider ranking somewhere where you don't think you'd get along with the other residents.
This is coming from someone who likes to keep work and personal life pretty separate and don't really have the expectation to make close friends with my fellow residents. However, we do spend a significant amount of time together, so I'm glad I took it into account when ranking programs and I'm glad I'm at a program with people who (generally) don't suck the life out of me or make me want to scream.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
You're going to spend the next 3-5 years with these people. Do you really want to do that?

Precedexed Out

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Based on my interviews so far, it seems like the program emphasize the character/personality of the residents they select as much as they look at how competitive they are. That means if you don't like the current residents, there is a good chance next year's residents won't be much better.

Reactions: 1 users

Candidate2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Do you want to work where 60% of your bosses are cynical and terrible people?

KP2AZ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for all the input! This makes the decision much easier. I was worried I am just supposed to suck it up and swallow my pride.

Noisewater-TDX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by a few of my attendings before i started school that if you don't come back to our program, go to one where the residents seem the happiest.

Living and working in a toxic environment for years is going to burn you out before you even start practicing on your own.

Reactions: 1 users