How much do Kaplan teachers get paid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eggplant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do anyone know how much Kaplan pays its MCAT teachers and how hard it is to get a job there (assuming you qualify with high enough test scores)?

Members don't see this ad.

Shades McCool said:
I teach for them

7 an hour to prep
18 an hour to teach
10 an hour to proctor

Shades -- does it take up a lot of your time to be a Kaplan teacher? I was thinking about doing it, but I don't want it to be, like, a full-time job while I'm taking class AND applying to med school.

Money? Not nearly enough.

About getting a job: It's not hard to get an audition (95th percentile or higher MCAT) or pass it. Most of the potential teachers get weeded out during the five training sessions. It's funny to me how many high scorers on the MCAT were shy hermits and socially clueless... hence they had a very hard time getting up in front of an audience of their peers to teach material. If you can't do that during the training sessions, there's no way Kaplan is going to give you a class full of antsy and question-asking students to teach.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah all the info is fresh in my mind so I dont take but maybe an hour to prep...even though I say I prep more haha!

There have been a bazillion threads on this, so try a search and you'll find some differences. The pay scale varies regionally, and possibly between centers, so for an accurate idea of how much money you could make, call your local center and ask.

Shades McCool said:
I teach for them

7 an hour to prep
18 an hour to teach
10 an hour to proctor

Thanks! I always wanted to know that.

I asked one of my Princeton teachers last year and he got $22 an hour teaching and some fixed amount for training (prep). I asked my organic chemistry teacher at Berkeley this summer what he makes and he wouldn't tell me. He said it was over $30 per hour for prep and teaching, but he's also a professor, so he probably gets more than a student would.