how much do medical schools know about you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wifi08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I was originally going for dentistry and have already taken my DAT's however i now feel that a career in medicine would fit me better. upon application to med school will they know if i have taken the DAT, and will this not be seen in a good way?

Members don't see this ad.

They won't see your DAT, and whether or not you let them know, that is up to you. If you do, be prepared to have a good reason why you are giving up dentistry, as it could be seen as a lack of committment.

Hi everyone.
I was originally going for dentistry and have already taken my DAT's however i now feel that a career in medicine would fit me better. upon application to med school will they know if i have taken the DAT, and will this not be seen in a good way?

Nope.

Members don't see this ad :)
They wont know about the DAT unless you tell them. I did the same thing. It wont hurt if you explain your decision in the right way. It takes alot of maturity to decide to be a physician, i dont see how 18 and 19 year olds know enough about themselves to make the right decision. Make sure you let medical schools know that you are committed to medicine. If anything medical schools were impressed that i turned down a dental school acceptance and took the MCAT and appled to medical schools. In my PS and during my interviews i made it known that i was turning down a relatively easy job (compared to most medical fields), good money, and a great lifestyle in dentistry because i felt that there was something more to medicine that i couldnt get of dentistry. If anything i think this helped me. I received interviews and got acceptances to medical schools with lower than average stats.

*P.S make sure you really really want to go into medicine. Being a dentist is the closest thing to the perfect JOB. However, i wanted something more than just a good JOB.

Hi everyone.

I seem to remember being asked what other standardized tests I had taken in the applications. If that's the case, then yes, you will have to report it. You will have to explain why you took both in a way that doesn't sound like you just want to be called a professional and don't really care about the profession.