How much do medical schools look at your COURSES specifically

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingFocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Biochemistry major in the Honors program. I'm taking Biochemistry as Honors and am debating whether or not to take Analytical Chemistry as Honors. I also want to take Molecular Genetics--an unrequired course for my major or Medicinal Chemistry which is also unrequired.

I am saying all of these things because I want to know whether or not medical schools will look at my transcript and take these courses as pluses. Would Analytical Chemistry Honors boost up my chances by any significant amount or no? What about the Molecular Genetics course?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think good grades in the pre-reqs has the largest effect, but obviously those courses could look positive if you get good grades. I always think you have more to lose than to win though, a single bad grade can hurt you more than an individual good grade can help you. I am not saying shy away from difficult courses, but don't take them just because you think they can help your cause.

Members don't see this ad :)