How much do medical schools look into the EC's? (crime involved)

Nov 27, 2013
As a college student, I'm a GDI (non-rushing), but I won two scholarships for community service and helping others from a fraternity on campus (they were sponsored through the school, and funding came from the fraternity).

The fraternity is now banned for three years due to a sexual assault cause that happened at the fraternity. I in no way condone sexual assault whatsoever under any circumstances (hope I don't have to make that clear and it's logically understood being in a circle of academics in this forum), and while I still get my scholarship for this academic year, should I remove it from my ECs?

EDIT: For clarification, I was never a part of that fraternity as a member, and no affiliation with the organization nor its member, other than being a recipient of an award they offered to the university students.

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
I think you are fine. The way I wrote about distinctions like these was in a single AMCAS "activity" where I listed them all. I didn't have much room to explain. I would just say

year, award name for community service from "school", "funded by" name of frat

This wording makes the connection between you and the frat explicit. I also doubt anyone is going to look into this award enough to Google the frat

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It won't be a problem.

As a college student, I'm a GDI (non-rushing), but I won two scholarships for community service and helping others from a fraternity on campus (they were sponsored through the school, and funding came from the fraternity).

The fraternity is now banned for three years due to a sexual assault cause that happened at the fraternity. I in no way condone sexual assault whatsoever under any circumstances (hope I don't have to make that clear and it's logically understood being in a circle of academics in this forum), and while I still get my scholarship for this academic year, should I remove it from my ECs?

EDIT: For clarification, I was never a part of that fraternity as a member, and no affiliation with the organization nor its member, other than being a recipient of an award they offered to the university students.