How much do presentations count for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosonista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all --

So I've totaled four presentations this semester at four different conferences. And though I know one of them was a pretty exclusive one, the other three didn't seem competitive to me (Ex. SUNY system's undergraduate research conference).

What's done is done, but curiosity makes me ask, how much do presentations count for? Does is vary widely? Will ADCOM's think well of my one prestigious conference, but just gloss over the others as filler?

Anyone have a sense of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Less than a publication, but better than nothing to show for research. And unless your "prestigious" one was an actual competitive national conference in a particular field, it's presumptuous to call it prestigious just because Harvard (or another name brand school) hosted a symposium.

Less than a publication, but better than nothing to show for research. And unless your "prestigious" one was an actual competitive national conference in a particular field, it's presumptuous to call it prestigious just because Harvard (or another name brand school) hosted a symposium.
My philosophy professors -- it was a philosophy conference -- repeatedly told me getting into that particular conference was a big deal. The school wasn't hosting a symposium done at different schools. It was *their* symposium.

Members don't see this ad :)
a prestigious philosophy conference prob won't even ring a bell for med school admissions. But a presentation is a presentation, good tangible accomplishment regarding research.

50 doctor points.

Just kidding. I don't understand why people try to judge EC's and whatnot without context. If the interviewer asks about it, it suddenly becomes as important in accessing your candidacy as getting in the way of doctors that one summer you volunteered. You have a single semester dedicated to 4 iterations of one thing and, especially if this is towards the end of your academic career, it will probably come up.

a prestigious philosophy conference prob won't even ring a bell for med school admissions. But a presentation is a presentation, good tangible accomplishment regarding research.

Goro has repeatedly insisted that med schools work like undergraduate admissions to an extent: There are so many people with the right stats that schools have the luxury of choosing a wide variety of students to make a colorful class.

I have no doubt my multiple philosophy awards, philosophy presentations and presidency of the philosophy club will set me apart.

What I'm curious about is how presentations, generically, are perceived. Sure, as The Helpful Aye Aye writes, many things mean little without context. But there are some things that are perceived as a great asset regardless of the context.

P.S. 50 doctor points for Gryffindor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Something is better than nothing. That said, hopefully you have some involvement in scientific research since if I haven't mistaken, your work was in philosophy? (I'm not meaning to hate on phil-i studied it in college too, but i made sure i had some science research under my belt).

Something is better than nothing. That said, hopefully you have some involvement in scientific research since if I haven't mistaken, your work was in philosophy? (I'm not meaning to hate on phil-i studied it in college too, but i made sure i had some science research under my belt).

Indeed. I've been in a biology lab for two years, working on an honors thesis on my bio work, and I've done an REU at a neuro lab.

Undergrad presentations are a step below publishing in an undergrad jounal, which is lol to start off with.

However, it is still an accomplishment and you should be proud of it. The way you discuss it and grow from it may be more important than the fact that you did it. Be sure to be able to own up to your work and be able to explain it thoroughly.