How much do recent upward trend make up for a mediocre GPA/prereq grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FredAstaire

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My overall GPA is 3.7 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA.

My grades for the past 2 full years were all straight As taking mostly upper level science courses.

However, my grades during my first 3 years in college (hence all the pre-reqs) were mediocre and was only around a 3.3-3.4 range.

Is this of concern? Have I redeemed myself with all straight As in challenging courses for the past 2 years (4 semesters)?

Thanks very one/

Members don't see this ad.

Your gpa is not mediocre, it's pretty much the mean score of all accepted students. The upward trend is also is really good.

I overcame a overall 3.3 GPA with an upward trend (4.0 for the last few years). You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
some schools place considerable emphasis on the last 60 credits.

some schools place considerable emphasis on the last 60 credits.

How do you know this? None of the schools I have seen states that. Can you tell me the schools?

Your gpa is not mediocre, it's pretty much the mean score of all accepted students. The upward trend is also is really good.

I concerned because, according to MSAR, the average sGPA of accepted applicants is at least a 3.7 something, which mine is 0.1 below.

How do you know this? None of the schools I have seen states that. Can you tell me the schools?

You have to ask each school. Some will tell you if your ask nicely.

Just say "look here is my situation and how will you evaluate my transcript?"

I concerned because, according to MSAR, the average sGPA of accepted applicants is at least a 3.7 something, which mine is 0.1 below.

Hmm.. last year it was a Cgpa of 3.7 and a BCPM of 3.6. Regardless you're still so close to the average that I really wouldn't worry too much.

Hi everyone,

My grades for the past 2 full years were all straight As taking mostly upper level science courses.

However, my grades during my first 3 years in college (hence all the pre-reqs) were mediocre and was only around a 3.3-3.4 range.

Is this of concern? Have I redeemed myself with all straight As in challenging courses for the past 2 years (4 semesters)?

Thanks very one/

I hope not because we have nearly the exact same story/numbers :laugh:. I think you will be just fine :xf:.

I don't think it's official policy, but most adcoms will consider recent coursework more indicative of academic performance... at least that has been my experience in conversations with a few adcom members.

most medical schools outside of the top ten AVERAGE 3.6/3.7. like BU, Sinai, U of R, NYU etc. Look at the US News compass. MSAR is misleading.

Hi everyone,

Thanks very one/

This will be more than adequate.

Does the OP live in Cali? 3.7/3.6 should be excellent.

I'm not sure if this is the case but it could be that since they're counting accepted students, people with great scores are getting counted several times since they are more likely to have multiple acceptances. The population of matriculants is smaller than the number of people accepted to each school.

Last edited by a moderator: