How much do schools pay attention to secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSoccer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has a clue how much attention admissions committees pay to what we write in these things. Obviously the schools that hardly have any info on their secondaries don't care, but what about schools who require 2 or 3 essay questions? Will they really pay attention to what we write, or have they already decided who they're gonna take for an interview and who they're not? I was thinking that maybe those of you who have already been interviewed could tell us if they ever asked you about something you wrote on their, or any other info would help. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

PURE SPECULATION:

If you have a STELLAR app, you'de prolly get an interview as long as your 2ndaries aren't completely *****ic. If you're kinda on the bubble, they might read them more closely.

Originally posted by steve007
PURE SPECULATION:

If you have a STELLAR app, you'de prolly get an interview as long as your 2ndaries aren't completely *****ic. If you're kinda on the bubble, they might read them more closely.

Yeah, do you think DADS can just skip the secondary, eh steve? I mean, we really wouldn't have anything to write about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, secondaries are important. Maybe for some schools more than others, but it is your chance to add strength to your application, so spend as much time as you can on your essays, and make them as good as possible. I don't know why anyone wouldn't spend a lot of time on these things. If you are a good applicant if send in crappy secondaries, that will raise some flags.

Your secondaries also give you extra time to shape yourself as an applicant....so if your interviewer really likes or is intrigued by one of your essays, he/she might bring it up at the interview. That's usually a good thing, so try and make them interesting! :)

I tried to put my own little twist on the secondary essays. I wrote a poem for one school, about what I would do if I won the lottery on another, and some other random stuff.....I just tried to make each one a little different. :p

Originally posted by soonerpillow
Yeah, do you think DADS can just skip the secondary, eh steve? I mean, we really wouldn't have anything to write about.

No, no. D.A.D.S. must lie profusely on the secondary. It is particularly important to try to present some first hand social encounters. Watch "Friends" or "Scrubs" for some ideas about how said social interactions might take place.