madonna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
los angeles
Status
Medical Student
it takes me a really long time to write essays and i am having trouble with some of the topics for the secondaries. luckily most of my apps were essay free but i ma kind of stuck on few with essays. its kind of getting very late and i am wondering if writing mediocre anwers will hurt my chances of interview?
my respect goes to the people with over 20 essay secondaries :)

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status
I think, at this point, you need to sacrifice a small amount of quality so that you can simply submit the app. It's getting late in the proces...

MarzMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Well it wont help. I dont know about you, but I need all the help I can get so I think it is very important. Anything that doesnt help will hurt. However, you do need to get those things in at this point.

Jaider

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2005
Status
I feel your pain, Madonna. I agonized over some of my secondary essays, since I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing (and applications). I wrote 17 versions of an autobiographical essay for my state school's secondary, wound up with a piece of writing that I was satisfied with, then quickly ran it by an admissions friend to get her opinion. She told me that it sucked, and at that school the secondary essay can literally be the difference between an acceptance and rejection. So, on to version 18! I finally submitted it on Sunday, not a day too early. I still wasn't completely happy with it, but if I waited any longer I would have missed the deadline.

So, to answer your question, I think the secondary essays are pretty important. It seems to me that if the adcomm requests that information from you, they really want to know and might spend more time reading those secondary essays than your primary. But, that's just my guess.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY would like to read others' secondary essays to gauge the quality of them.

Oh, if it helps, the problem with my essay: It wasn't ENDEARING. Be sure to be endearing in your writing.

OP
M

madonna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
los angeles
Status
Medical Student
Jaider said:
I feel your pain, Madonna. I agonized over some of my secondary essays, since I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing (and applications). I wrote 17 versions of an autobiographical essay for my state school's secondary, wound up with a piece of writing that I was satisfied with, then quickly ran it by an admissions friend to get her opinion. She told me that it sucked, and at that school the secondary essay can literally be the difference between an acceptance and rejection. So, on to version 18! I finally submitted it on Sunday, not a day too early. I still wasn't completely happy with it, but if I waited any longer I would have missed the deadline.

So, to answer your question, I think the secondary essays are pretty important. It seems to me that if the adcomm requests that information from you, they really want to know and might spend more time reading those secondary essays than your primary. But, that's just my guess.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY would like to read others' secondary essays to gauge the quality of them.

Oh, if it helps, the problem with my essay: It wasn't ENDEARING. Be sure to be endearing in your writing.
thanx. it just sounds lame to me. either it is pitiful, overexcited or dry. oh well. good luck.