How much do the specific courses that your science gpa is composed of actually matter?

MTRN406

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Feb 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If I do not have any offers come January, I am going to take more courses during the spring in preparation for the next cycle.

For post-bac work, to what extent do the specific courses that you take matter, other things being equal, assuming that they are upper division credits and not obvious fluff like birds of the national parks for non-majors?

My school offers some interesting courses in the areas of plant pathology, conservation biology, ornithology, marine biology, and mycology that I'm interested in taking for my own personal enjoyment. These would all count toward science GPA as far as AMCAS is concerned.

Still, I cannot help but think that from an adcom's perspective, a 4.0 post-bac science GPA composed of courses related to basic sciences and human physiology would come across as more convincing of a candidate's being prepared for medical school, than a similarly outstanding performance in classes about mushrooms.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Genetics, human genetics, physiology, medical mycology, cancer biology, pathophysiology, neurobiology, neurology...

So while you say that "mushrooms" aren't that important to the study of medicine, I would say knowing the difference of fusarium from aspergillum might of interest especially in a neutropenic floor; will it help a great deal in med school itself? probably not but always good background info :)

wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
mycology can be relevant.

Reactions: Shotapp
About the Ads