how much do you/ did you study as an M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

how many hours do you/did you study as an M1?

• 10 hours or less per week. . .

Votes: 21 14.0%
  • 10-20 hours per week

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • 20-30 hours per week

Votes: 40 26.7%
  • 30-40 hours per week

Votes: 21 14.0%
  • 40-50 hours per week

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • 50+ hours!!

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

care bear

pink fuzzy user
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year and wondering how much people tend to study. I want to find out if my habits are average, or if i'm missing some incredibly efficient way of doing things, or just not putting in enough hours! I know there will be a lot of variation, but this is just a quick poll and i hope it will still be fun/helpful to see the results!

Members don't see this ad.

Less than 10 hrs per week as an M1? :laugh: Lets see, that makes for less than 2 hrs per day and absolutely no review on the weekend. Possible? Maybe. Probable? Not likely. I don't recall exactly how much I studied during my first year, but it sure as hell was more than 10 hrs per week. Especially during anatomy. Hell, there are people in my class that do 10 hrs in a day. All those "coasting" through first year, enjoy it b/c second year is much more work. At least the material is interesting though.

well, at my school we do anatomy first, and we spend so much time in lecture and particularly lab that it leaves relatively little time outside of class - most of my studying I do in lab on the bodies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by MD2b06
Less than 10 hrs per week as an M1? :laugh: Lets see, that makes for less than 2 hrs per day and absolutely no review on the weekend.

...and that's at the maximum. I don't buy it at all. Even on an anonymous poll on an anonymous website, people feel the need to pretend like they don't study...

Well, are you talking on an average day or close to exams? Because that makes a big difference. But still, I could never concentrate more than ~ 2 hrs/day outside of class.

Am I supposed to be studying???? They should put that in the orientation materials.

Hey, I didn't study at all for the first two weeks, so I had to pretty much study all weekend for a Biochem exam, and then pull another all-nighter before a Histo QUIZ. Peaks and valleys for me so far. I will probably die an early death if I don't stop procrastinating things to the last second.

But honestly, I'm sure pretty much EVERYONE studies a lot when there's an exam within the next couple of days.

I studied maybe 2-3 hours per day, a little more on weekends. However, I didn't study very efficiently or intensely, and as a result I felt unprepared for nearly every exam first year. Thank goodness my school is pass/fail in first year, but now I'm back to studying and rereading to try to know everything cold, just like in college.

10-20 hours per week? Lies, all a bunch of lies. It takes me 2 hours to get through one measly lecture, maybe because I dissect everything, but it doesn't make much sense to me how studying 2 hours per day can get things done, or anything done for that matter.

I'm in anatomy right now, and I've been doing around 25-30 hours per week. I feel like I should be doing more...

I'm not really sure about how to answer the poll, like someone said before it really depends on the distance to the next test, for ex. last week before my 1st anatomy test I prob studied around 40 hrs or so, but this entire week maybe 2 hours, am I the only one who takes it to this extreme? just curious as to other's habits

I think I ended up studying around 3-4 hours every weekday, and about 5-6 hours every weekend day.

Originally posted by ForceField
10-20 hours per week? Lies, all a bunch of lies. It takes me 2 hours to get through one measly lecture, maybe because I dissect everything, but it doesn't make much sense to me how studying 2 hours per day can get things done, or anything done for that matter.
Well, just because I studied less than 10 hrs/week (and I really did) doesn't mean I got anything done. I know I should have studied more, but I didn't.