How much do you expect to have in loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much loan are you expecting after your PharmD

• 0-$50,000

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • $50,000-$100,000

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • $100,000-$150,000

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • $150,000-$200,000

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • $200,000 and More

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

Dr.Biassi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm just curious about the debt people are actually thinking about cumulating in pharmacy school. Please submit you pool vote

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I'm just curious about the debt people are actually thinking about cumulating in pharmacy school. Please submit you pool vote

It's going to vary greatly by state. I plan to attend in So Cal, but my debt will hopefully similar to other state schools since I've got some initial savings to draw upon.

I just did my online exit counseling for student loan repayment. I had some smaller loans in undergrad, plus 4 years of pharmacy school where I took out $18-19k per year. After accruing interest, my final debt is $102,000. Luckily, I consolidated $60k of my loans over a year ago and locked in a 2.75% interest rate. The other $40k is variable. My projected payments are $1,150 per month over 10 years. If I spread it out to 30 years, I'll pay an extra $100k in interest, so I'll probably use the standard 10 year payment plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just did my online exit counseling for student loan repayment. I had some smaller loans in undergrad, plus 4 years of pharmacy school where I took out $18-19k per year. After accruing interest, my final debt is $102,000. Luckily, I consolidated $60k of my loans over a year ago and locked in a 2.75% interest rate. The other $40k is variable. My projected payments are $1,150 per month over 10 years. If I spread it out to 30 years, I'll pay an extra $100k in interest, so I'll probably use the standard 10 year payment plan.

Thanks a lot. Gave us the newbies that are going to start to play smart. My school is like 45K a year. I guess I will have double of your total loan and on top of that i'm out of state.

Maybe that wonderful 2.75% will come around again toward end of pharmacy school for me....

Can I consolidate my loans from undergrad before I start Pharmacy School or should I wait until I get done with school

Can I consolidate my loans from undergrad before I start Pharmacy School or should I wait until I get done with school

Wait until the interest rate drops, then consolidate them with your pharmacy loans.

Pay off that $40K first, and take your time with the rest since the interest rate is SO low. You can gain 5.05% with just a savings account (HSBC, Citi) so no need to pay if off early.

How depressing: it would take me two whole years working as a pharmacist, contributing 100% of my earnings toward loans, to pay off pharmacy school with interest....even longer, since a large chunk of that income would be taxed. :eek:

Fortunately, my scholarships got me through undergrad without any loans so I'm looking at loans just to cover pharmacy school. Creighton says that my estimated cost of attendance is $47,044.00 a year:eek: However, that is just a conservative estimate that includes health insurance (my dad's work insurance covers me), transportation (I doubt I will spend $1,200 like Creighton says, probably half), room/board (I might get board, but I'm seriously looking at apartments now), and $2,100 for books (oh, crap).

My school is so slow with their cost of attendance, financial aid, etc. Haven't heard a peep from them. Grr. This is going against my plan ahead mindset.

How depressing: it would take me two whole years working as a pharmacist, contributing 100% of my earnings toward loans, to pay off pharmacy school with interest....even longer, since a large chunk of that income would be taxed. :eek:

And: What's crap is that we won't get any tax break at the end of the year for paying on student loans b/c we will make over the cut-off amount.

ucsf estimates the avg student only owes around 70k. ur ok jun. :)

And: What's crap is that we won't get any tax break at the end of the year for paying on student loans b/c we will make over the cut-off amount.

If you pay interest you will have a tax break I think!!!!