How much $$$ do you make for your clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much $$$ (per hour) do you make for your clinical experience?

• Total voters

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it'd be interesting to see what people are making for their clinical experience (per hour) working in hospitals, clinics, EMS, nursing homes, residential facilities, etc. (If you get paid a salary, you can divide it by 2000 hrs/yr if you're full-time to get your hourly rate or 1000 hrs/yr if you're half-time.)

Also, please list what you do below and if it requires any certifications, degrees, etc. (and/or if you had any that helped you get the job even if they're not required). It'll make for a good resource for people to get ideas of what they can do for clinical experience as well as what we might expect to be paid as premeds....

Members don't see this ad.

I answered for what I was paid when I was an EMT with a private ambulance company. Pay was based on EMT-B vs. EMT-P and went up depending on how many years you had with the company. Started pretty low (mine was 8.something), but most people have to do EMT-B to get to paramedic so they have no problem getting a supply of people willing to make a low wage for a while.

I make about $15/hr for my job as a tech on an acute psych unit. It involves taking vitals, charting pt outcomes (psych and medical), running therapeutic groups, etc. The job requires a bachelors and having my EMT-B as well as related work and internship experience also helped in getting hired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unit secretary and MA - 13-15/hr depending on shift.

No certifications required. Experience in medical field and office work for unit secretary was very helpful, and experience for MA was necessary.

Specialized RN (BSN) with critical care certification, the ability to place PICC lines and a few years experience. I work full time, night shift (so add in a shift differential) and generally weekends (another differential).

As a CNA, I made just over 11 bucks/hr.

And i do volunteer.....work, medical, and non medical related.

I worked 1 year as an EMT-B (full time) for $8.45

I used that experience to get a job in the Surgery dept. of a hospital. Pays $14.50 base pay + $2.00 more per hr b/c I work evenings = $16.50/hr. I set up equipment for surgeries, get patients from the floor/urgent care, position and prep patients, run lab specimens, and basically act as an extra pair of hands for whatever is needed. I also take call at night and on weekends which pays very well (1.5x or 2x my regular pay when called in + 6.50/hr stand by while I'm at home waiting to be called). Overall great job.

All volunteer. Actually, i even paid like 2 grand for a medical trip I went on, so I made negative money.

If I had a private college with these "experiences" rolled into the "pre-medicine bachelor of science" how much do you think I can charge pre-meds for it?

I'm thinking $50k/year for a 4-year course that includes forced clinicals (CNA/EMT-B cert. included), forced volunteering (in a nice 3rd-world country), and forced research (something clinical and inane, maybe at Seaworld or a Psych hospital) would be in demand.

any major work or does it have to be a specific one/

I think it has to be psych-related w/ psych work experience, but I'm actually not entirely sure. haha... all I really know is I qualified so I sent HR an application. The position involves a lot of application of knowledge of clinical psychology (but doesn't require a license), so my coworkers often have a lot of experience in residential or other psych facilities prior and I believe some have masters degrees (I don't).

We have other tech position here, though, that pay similarly (maybe a paygrade down w/ a base around $11 + $2-5 in differentials) and require only an EMT-IV (EMT-B + IV... here, about equivalent to an EMT-I85 national scope of practice).

If I had a private college with these "experiences" rolled into the "pre-medicine bachelor of science" how much do you think I can charge pre-meds for it?

I'm thinking $50k/year for a 4-year course that includes forced clinicals (CNA/EMT-B cert. included), forced volunteering (in a nice 3rd-world country), and forced research (something clinical and inane, maybe at Seaworld or a Psych hospital) would be in demand.

I think you should visit a psych unit and see what it's like.... research at the places where I've worked would be anything BUT inane! :laugh:

Seaworld...yeah, not my thing, but I'm sure somebody would find it interesting! (Maybe that pt I had that wanted to be a marine biologist and tells important people in his/her life about having how s/he has killed people despite no such record and a lack of any [other] symptoms indicating loss of contact w/ reality. Oh wait...that person might make for some interesting research him/herself, now that I think of it.....)

Last edited:
I didn't have time to not work to take some certification class, so I just volunteered in an ER.

For me, it was next to impossible to find a clinical job. Seems like you have to know someone to get paying clinical experience in this city.

Only hospital volunteering and shadowing for me, so $0.

my clinical experience is a full time state job so it's on the upper range of this survey.

Well, in a few years when I am a doctor I'll be making minimal wage at the rate things are going so all these other options seem pretty viable.

Well, in a few years when I am a doctor I'll be making minimal wage at the rate things are going so all these other options seem pretty viable.
:cry:

Between 2004 and 2007 I worked at two private ambulance services as a paramedic. At one, I was paid $7.62 / hour and the other $10 / hour. Sadly at the $10 baby I made more than the full-time people. Granted, my shifts were all 24+ hours with the $10 one being a constant 72 hour shift, but still for an hourly rate that's not crap. I wouldn't do that full-time. It was always a side gig for me.

Morsetlis:

My college has numerous volunteer opportunities for everyone. You hgo with the group that does missions. Mission is anything from this Saturdays exursion cleaning up the local graveyard to a trip to the retirement homes and hospice or hospitals visiting with pts it's all varied, but fun to go on.

Tuition is $10,855 a semester.

A

Unit secretary and MA - 13-15/hr depending on shift.

No certifications required. Experience in medical field and office work for unit secretary was very helpful, and experience for MA was necessary.
Ugh. My hospital is SO cheap. I already knew that but blech.