peony

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was just wondering what the norm is like. Do you feel like you learn a lot on the job, or do you feel like it's necessary to go home and study/read a lot? Do you find that you have to prepare outside of work for psychotherapy patients, or is that something you mainly do during supervision rounds? Thanks!

shan564

Below the fray
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2007
St. Louis via Sydney via St. Louis
www.encephalotomy.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You definitely learn a lot on the job. Most of my "studying" comes in the form of reviewing literature on a case-by-case basis as it applies to individual patients. Your program should have a didactic schedule that covers the basics that you need to know. It's good to read some of the basic texts, but I doubt that you'd need to study thoroughly aside from that. It's also good to read about psychotherapy outside of lectures and supervision, but that's self-directed.

In short, it's nothing like med school.

Reactions: Shikima

milesed

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
One of the best things an attending did with us while on his service was to play a game after rounds each day like Jeopardy! He used a drug book for all questions and we'd cover two chapters each week until done. It was fun and nobody wanted to look bad so everyone studied as much as possible. I'd study it anytime I could and there was time if you used it appropriately. We also had weekly lectures during the entire residency. I felt it was easier to study in residency than in my clinical year in med school.

Monkey House

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2008
East Coast
www.bidmcharvardpsychiatry.org
Status
Attending Physician
It is a lot easier to study and read when you are doing it because you want to than because of some shelf exam or test! That said it seems different folks study different amounts in residency - really varies on your background, how you learn, and what type of didactics your residency program offers

May 24, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
I'm an exception at a really disorganized program where we have disorganized didactics. But I just study uptodate on my patients whenever I get around to it. I haven't touched much of Kaplan or any book. My attending don't have time to do anything after rounds, since their are a ridiculous number of patients.

But with Prite coming around, I feel like I should be doing more so I'm reading on my own the Mass general guide. I feel like there are so many notes to write that I'm not learning anything and our didactics are not structured at all.

milesed

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I never bothered preparing for any of my PRITES. It just didn't matter. I do know that the attendings knew who scored what, so it mattered to them. I only used them to study for boards later.

I started by memorizing most of the Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy. It is very concise, cheap , not too long and perfect for PRITE and board exam questions in addition to your daily patients. I also tried to memorize a lot of the major DSM criteria for common diagnoses I saw.